compact crank or triple

Berry

can someone help what wil be the best for a rookie like me the triplecrank or the compact twin 10 speed

Go for Compact

But if you are used to riding a 53/39 the difference between the 50/34 is bigger.

So instead of the difference being about 3 gears, it is now 5.

So every time I shift to the big ring I need to also raise two or three gears at the back with the same sweep.

The 50/36 is a nicer ratio but not that much easier than the 39.

So get the compact and a 23-11 cassette and you will be set.

Dont get anything bigger than the 23 or else you might as well be walking up the hills.

I ride a 21-11 with my compact.

Most roadies will say 'compact' - for my self (migrating from mountain biking to road), I would say 'triple'.

I'm no expert (far from it), but I find that the 'range' in gears on the triple suits me - no way could I be described as maintaining a constant cadence!

It also depands on 'strength' and, in my case, power-to-weight ratio - being heavy, I struggle on the hills and need the lower gearing to 'grind away'. On the Telkom Challenge, many rookies walked up Hekpoort - I went for the granny gear and plodded up - sometimes down to 6km/h - but I made it up!

Compact twin 10 speed.

sram makes 11-28 cassette and this is all you need.

You can find blades 50,52 and 53 big and 34, 36, 39 that will fit compact crank so when your finesss get up to speed easy to change to "normal" 53-39 setup.

Fisrtly with the compact you gonna save weight

Secondly my first road bike had a triple crank and i NEVER used the small ring. To be honest it was actually a waste. And i didnt not use it cause it was "granny" gear...the ratio is just unrealistic.

Get the compact cause then you kind of "forced" to use the small ring...if you know what i mean

Compact twin 10 speed.

sram makes 11-28 cassette and this is all you need.

You can find blades 50' date='52 and 53 big and 34, 36, 39 that will fit compact crank so when your finesss get up to speed easy to change to "normal" 53-39 setup.
[/quote']

I dont ever see the need to change to a 53/39.

I went down to the compact even though I was managing on the bigger rings.

You see you can go faster on a 50/11 than on a 53/12(which most bikes have)

Unless you are riding elite(53/11) and if the group hits 80+km/h (and you still pedaling) then the compact 50/11 will be just fine.

The other reason that I changed down is that the spacings between my gears are very small (21-11 9speed still, but I will go 23-11 on 10) so now I can keep a comfortable cadence while being in the group.

Sometimes riding my MTB I often feel that I am either going just a bit to hard or a bit too easy and I want a extra gear between the two rings. That doesnt happen to me on my road bike now anymore.

Sorry Woosie but some of us has a weight and power advantage.

There is no way that a 50/11 will go faster than a 53/12.

I use 52/36 with 11/21 10speed, gear ratios are nice and compact that way.

I span out way to easy with 50/11 and dont like a cadence of 120 when you want to go above 50km/ph

Sorry Woosie but some of us has a weight and power advantage.

There is no way that a 50/11 will go faster than a 53/12.

I use 52/36 with 11/21 10speed' date=' gear ratios are nice and compact that way.

I span out way to easy with 50/11 and dont like a cadence of 120 when you want to go above 50km/ph

[/quote']

Sorry to burst you bubble tankman, but here Sheldon Brown has a nice gear calculator that proves it. Also I used to ride a 53/12 and the 50/11 is faster.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html

Gear chart using KPH @ 90 RPM

For 700 X 23 / 23-622 tire with 172.5 mm cranks

With 10-speed 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23 Cassette

536.0 %50
9.1 %
8.3 %
7.7 %
7.1 %
6.7 %
6.3 %
11.8 %
10.5 %
9.5 %

Most roadies will say 'compact' - for my self (migrating from mountain biking to road)' date=' I would say 'triple'.

I'm no expert (far from it), but I find that the 'range' in gears on the triple suits me - no way could I be described as maintaining a constant cadence!

It also depands on 'strength' and, in my case, power-to-weight ratio - being heavy, I struggle on the hills and need the lower gearing to 'grind away'. On the Telkom Challenge, many rookies walked up Hekpoort - I went for the granny gear and plodded up - sometimes down to 6km/h - but I made it up!
[/quote']

The lowest I can go with my compact before I sease up is 12km/h, and by then Im wrestling with those bars like you have no Idea.. If you are a heavy.. then I'd say get a triple.
Bos2010-01-14 09:59:34

Woofie, I am happy for you but unfortunately I am not as fit, yet Unhappy

I am riding 52-36 and 11-28 'couse I need the granny gear and (seldom) the big ring up front to keep with the boys on the flat. Will change to 11-26 but I know I will sweat bullets up Northcliff.

Tankman, Woofie is right.  

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/29pgc10/ratios.jpg

triple: 50-39-30 & 11-25 on granny gear: 2.49m per crank revolution

double: 50-34 & 11-28 on grany gear: 2.52m per crank revolution 

I must be heavy and unfit Cry

Ok ill admit defeat on paper, but that is all it is, on paper the 50/11 might look faster than 53/12

I have ridden both, the 53/12 suited my riding style much better and I recall spinning out much faster with the 50/11 than the 53/12, how do you explain that then?

Ok ill admit defeat on paper' date=' but that is all it is, on paper the 50/11 might look faster than 53/12

I have ridden both, the 53/12 suited my riding style much better and I recall spinning out much faster with the 50/11 than the 53/12, how do you explain that then?

[/quote']

You were stronger when using the 50/11 causing you to spin out more? Wink

Come on tankman. Admit defeat here. I have felt a step up in the speed and everyone else I know that rides this combo has as well.

Your mind is the biggest part about cycling and if you previously thought that a 53/12 was faster than a 50/11 it would have really have felt that way when riding it.

I cycled up to 75 i think on the one tonner this year. On my 53/12 I cant recall ever getting above 70 while pedaling.

Wink