compact crank or triple

Berry

woofie what crank did u get and what is the price thanks for the help

I picked up a second hand FSA K-Light (Carbon) from my friend with the BB for R700. But that was a really good deal.

You can pick up one here on the hub.

Any brand will do.

Look at spending between R600 and R1100

Also with the cassette, if weight is really not on your side then maybe you should start off with a 25-11 or something like that.

DO you currently have a 10 speed system?

Ok ill admit defeat on paper' date=' but that is all it is, on paper the 50/11 might look faster than 53/12

I have ridden both, the 53/12 suited my riding style much better and I recall spinning out much faster with the 50/11 than the 53/12, how do you explain that then?

[/quote']

You were stronger when using the 50/11 causing you to spin out more? Wink

Come on tankman. Admit defeat here. I have felt a step up in the speed and everyone else I know that rides this combo has as well.

Your mind is the biggest part about cycling and if you previously thought that a 53/12 was faster than a 50/11 it would have really have felt that way when riding it.

I cycled up to 75 i think on the one tonner this year. On my 53/12 I cant recall ever getting above 70 while pedaling.

Wink

You are right, it is all in the head.  My head keeps telling me no matter what

gearing I have at the back, a 50 in the front just doesn?t work for me

(personally).

Ill have to convince my self again with a test, I have 53/39

on my training bike and 52/36 on the racing bike with some blades lying around.

It may also be, that when I started changing cassettes, I

stuck a 11/21 on with the 53 and not a 12, because that is one thing I do not

go without anymore, the 11.

Ill admit defeat, you are right Ouch my apologies! Wink

Tankman2010-01-15 00:34:00

Ok guys educate me/us..."Spinning out"?

When you say 52/36 and 11/28...what are you reffering to?

What do you need to change to swop to change to a compact?

What is the weight saving?

Thanks.

Spinning out, is when you cadence (revolutions per minute of your pedals) becomes to fast, it is feels like you are pedaling without having any forward moving force.

This will vary from rider to ride, I spin out at around 115 to 120 rpm.

The speed at which you are traveling as well as terrain will have an effect on this.

The chain rings (your front blades) are reffered to as 53 (the big one) and 39 (the small one) if you have a standard crank.  53/39

Compact cranks can have different setups but normally 50/34

Should you want to change to compact, you would need to change the crank.  A standard crank can not accommodate the smaller chain rings because there is a difference in BCD (bolt center diameter)

Standard has a 130mm BCD

and Compact a 110mm BCD

You can however put standard blades 53/39 on a compact crank.

It is not that easy to get hold of standard blades for a compact crank, so be warned.

Some compact crank setup include 50/34 52/36 53/39

So when I posted something here last week I didnt think I'd be back for help so fast.

I just got some 10speed 105 and ultegra stuff here off the hub at a great price.

I was riding a 12-25 and 53/39 9 speed but the casette I just got with this grouppo is a 11/23. On the chart that someone posted I saw that the difference is 20cm per pedal stroke. Now how much is that? I meen I do allot of my training around kloofnek, the glen etc and to be honnest I use the 25 all the time up the nec and as Im sure you all know, you *** off!

Whats the thinking ? I wouldnt want to go as low as 36 but Is getting a 38 or 37 (if it exists) a waist of time?

Mabe I should just do it, then see huh..

Ok I answered my question. thanks for listening.

Bos, you kill me.

Guys, thanks for all the info on here. Now there is another thing I know lots about. Now to go find those Cradle residents ..............