Crash - Helmet Damage

Beenie

My helmet took a heavy hit when I went crashing to the ground. Inspection revealed there werent any cracks. Only indentation where it made contact with the ground.

LBS says the helmet is still good for use as there werent any cracks. What's your feelings on replacing helmets ofter a crash?

Bear in mind that the fall was hard enough to break my collar bone.

definately replace the helmet. Problem is the foam is only meant to take ONE blow, whether it be from dropping, throwing or falling regardless of the impact the foam density changes & creates weak spots.

So in a nutshell if you bail again your lid could just possibly split & you could be damaged for life

it is also recommended by cycling & motorbike helmet manufacturers that you replace every 3-4 years ragardless of knocks or damage. Someone did give me the reasons for this once before but it escapes me right now
BumpNgrind2010-01-19 05:59:48

Without seeing it, I would say its toast.

They are designed to absorb impact by breaking (a la crumple zones in cars).

Just because you can't see the damage, it doesn't mean there isnt any.

My helmet also looked fine after my crash, but the lbs showed me where the outer shell had seperated from the inners. Next time it wont do its job quite so well...

Replace.

The indentation is the helmets way of absorbing impact. next time there is nowhere for the impact to go...except your head.

As far as I can remember you get a replacement for 35% of the cost of a new one, still pricy, but worth saving your pip.

No, bell replaces your helmet for free when you crash with it. They don't replace it when your bike falls over onto your helmet. Ask me.Smile

I crashed with mine though and they just gave me a new one for free.

is your bike ok?

Apart from a bent seat, my inspection didnt reveal any damage to the bike. But i asked them to check everthing for me.

Hectic... I got a bell and did not know about their crash policy .. Checked their website now... Cool !!

Yeah' date=' let me not take any chances.

Refresh my memory - what is the Bell replacement policy?[/quote']

According to Omnico, the local Bell importers, they will replace the helmet at 30% of the new value (70% discount), provided:

- It's less than 3yrs old and,

- You can show that it was bought locally (proof of purchase or other evidence).

My helmet took a heavy hit when I went crashing to the ground. Inspection revealed there werent any cracks. Only indentation where it made contact with the ground.

LBS says the helmet is still good for use as there werent any cracks. What's your feelings on replacing helmets ofter a crash?

Bear in mind that the fall was hard enough to break my collar bone.

Replace the helmet.

dents ar bad thing. those are areas where permanent deformation of the styrofoam has occured i.e. its in sy moer, gooi weg

the bloke who runs the Hub is selling off UVEX helmets for awesome prics. get the FP1. Love mine

Do you have a link id for this?