pedals

hagar

Hagar - that's the shoes they sold me.... are we related?

They're fine, I really quite liked them but if you go for a road pedal you'll need new shoes.

smiley36.gif Olympics . On my second pair now and these things just last much longer , are great to walk in (so I hear) and are dirt cheap . seriaaasly I have seen to many Specialized and other shoes with the ratched system breaking at races .

If you want the best shoes, go for Sidis!!

Seriously for MTB i would not touch anything else. I have had my pair since 1997, and they are still working perfectly, including the ratchet on the side. They were the only riding shoes owned for about 5 years and they were worn daily, then I used them to commute every day for two years in London, and now  they get used every second weekend or so. they are still functioing perfectly, and if the ratchet does go, they are easily replaceable.

And with Slipstream closing down, im sure you can get a nice pair at a very good price. That or try Chris W cycles, they have some excellent prices on thier site.

Hagar, do yourself a favour & try some shoes on. Some of the shoes can be very narrow. Also the sizes seem to differ. Personally, I'm riding a pair of Specialized MTB shoes (without a ratchet) and they're great!

Some cyclists cannot afford two pairs of shoes, so put MTB pedals on their road bikes. But not willing to be "uncool" try a sort of "hybrid" approach with a mtb pedal that pretends to be a road pedal. Some tri- duathletes use double sided mtb pedals for the sprint distance. It save time and hassel in the transition.

If you cycle more than about 100km on training rides it is not recommended to use MTB shoes on a road bike. Something to do with loss of power and speed. (Although some wooses will complain about acute foot pain, which although debilitating should not really deter the hard core cyclist.)