Advice : Going tubeless

Justin

Hi

I recently bought 2 new rims with tyres (bontrager superstock and mavic xm819). The mavic is tubeless and the bontrager not.

Both tires are worn though, so I am looking to replace them.

Also, I want to go tubeless on both rims (ghetto should be fine).

What tires would you advise on getting? Must I go for UST tires, or will normal tires be fine.

As an example, I noticed there are Continental Race Kings and Continental Race Kings UST...with a big price difference.

I am totally baffled.

Please help!

UST usually just has thicker sidewalls that dont leak air, where as non ust just dont seal as well first time, but ghetto works well done it a few times now...

Why go Ghetto when the rim you have is tubeless already .. all you might need is the valve stem.... See extract from Mavic site below

Featuring Mavic's most innovative technologies, such as SUP welding, UB Control machines braking surface and Fore Drilling, XM 819 is the only true UST rim available on the market. Stiff and durable, yet light, toped with the added benefit of riding tubeless.

Why go Ghetto when the rim you have is tubeless already .. all you might need is the valve stem.... See extract from Mavic site below

Yes, but I don't think the Bontrager is already tubeless. I'll have to do a ghetto on it.

Yes' date=' but I don't think the Bontrager is already tubeless. I'll have to do a ghetto on it.[/quote']

If your rim is Bontrager then you may be able to get a tubless strip to clip into it. R120 from solomons in Woodmead +R70 for the valve. Call them to see if your rim can take it.

Yes' date=' but I don't think the Bontrager is already tubeless. I'll have to do a ghetto on it.[/quote']

the only thing that the ghetto and all the other rim strip does is to seal off the spoke holes. It's got nothing to do with tyres.

If your rim is Bontrager then you may be able to get a tubless strip to clip into it. R120 from solomons in Woodmead +R70 for the valve. Call them to see if your rim can take it.

The tubeless strip and valve would be in place of the BMX 20" tube?

The tubeless strip and valve would be in place of the BMX 20" tube?

Yes - and it is a a plastic strip - not a stans or Joes type strip.

So' date=' what would the advantage be by using a tubeless strip and valve instead of the BMX tube?[/quote']

but you do not need either. Your wheels are sealed and ready to go.