Advice : Going tubeless

Justin

i didnt like the ghetto thing - seems you have to leave the tube outside the rim.   

but you do not need either. Your wheels are sealed and ready to go.

The Bontrager Superstock as well?

i didnt like the ghetto thing - seems you have to leave the tube outside the rim.   

Well I don't think it ever got said in any of the threads but you need to do it properly . If you got tube sticking out you did a very bad job .

Hi Justin.

No the Bontrager superstock is not tubeless ready. You can either stick in a BMX tube or a plastic rim strip (I had one in there for a while, so it fits). The tire that is on there currently (Crossmark) is not UST, but it is the one I ran with that tubeless setup. It sealed fine but I had to pump it up a bit every week or so.

Regards, Tim

So' date=' what would the advantage be by using a tubeless strip and valve instead of the BMX tube?[/quote']

Your LBS will be happier ..... Wink

From your post I gather the following:

Your rims are Mavic 819's - these are tubeless rims that will require a valve to run in the tubeless format.

Tyres - Old Bonti's in non UST format. Mount them and try them with the valve. You need to replace them soon so do it with a UST tyre

Bottom line Mavic 819 + Valve + UST tyre = killer combo.

The Ghetto conversion is only if you are running a std type rim .. which you are not.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Thanks Tim.

I think I am going to do the ghetto on the bontrager rim, and replace both tires with UST tires.

I have got some Suomi Gazza tires in stock,which are perfect for tubeless & are really high quality from Finland.I have XC race tires & XC all terrain tires.

They are going for R 500.00 a set.

Please check out the Suomi site http://www.suomityres.fi/

use GEAX tyres.  Also you can use insulation tap or self fusing tap to seal the rims  (If the rims are tubeless this may be unnecessary.  MAssacre a valve of a road tube or a olf mtb tube.  Just set it tight and use that little "nut" which we all throw away to ensure it stays tight.

Also for the first fill use a whole bottle of sealant, ore double the recommended to be safe.

I have got some Suomi?Gazza tires in stock' date='which are perfect for tubeless & are really high quality from Finland.I have XC race tires & XC all terrain?tires.

[/quote']

Which models do you have?

Hi
I recently bought 2 new rims with tyres (bontrager superstock and mavic xm819). The mavic is tubeless and the bontrager not.

Both tires are worn though' date=' so I am looking to replace them.
Also, I want to go tubeless on both rims (ghetto should be fine).

What tires would you advise on getting? Must I go for UST tires, or will normal tires be fine.

As an example, I noticed there are Continental Race Kings and Continental Race Kings UST...with a big price difference.

I am totally baffled.

Please help![/quote']

Ok ok ok,

The Mvics are fine

You can use them with UST tyres or with normal tyres.

With UST tyres you simply buy the tyres, fit, pump like mad and then fall on the floor exhausted. then you get a bright idea and take them the garage and inflate them using a compressor.

With Normal tyres you need to seal the tyres too. But you also need to get the normal tyres to seat properly since they will fit very losely on the Maviv UST rim. for this you need a rim strip, either Ghetto or Stans or Joes will do.

Fit the rim strip first, then the tyre, add sealant, seat the tyre completely and inflate.

Presto, tubeless!!

Ohk, I got a Kanda Karma and a Maxxis Crossmark tire.

My setup was...

Alex PC19 rims with Kenda Kamodo (tubes) front and back with the standard mongoose hubs it came out with.

Now, my setup is...

Kenda Karma on Mavic XM819 rim with XT hub (front)

Maxxis Crossmark on Bontrager Superstock rim (ghetto) with XT hub (rear)

Did the old ghetto on the non-tubeless Bontrager rim, and TADA!

Both wheels (mavic and bontrager rims) are now tubeless, with a bit of Stans sloshing around inside. It took me all of 10 minutes at the local Garage to create my masterpiece!

Happy times...