What do carry with you for punctures?

capeofstorms

Hi,

Just a question for the experienced riders out there.

Is it cool to use a saddle bag? Do you ride with more than one spare tube? Do you ride with a bicycle pump and CO2 bombs?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

carry 2 spare tubes and a pump or CO2 and don't forget tyre levers!!

Personally, I don't like saddle bags. I use an old water bottle that I cut the top off and put all my stuff in. When I need the other bottle cage on longer rides I put this bottle in my shirt pocket. Captain Slow2010-01-29 03:04:25

I use a saddle bag, I carry some patches (cut in different sizes) and glue and some sandpaper (old skool me) as well as my trusty old hand pump. 1 Spare tube. Some rim tape as well. No CO2 pump.

I have never used tyre levers !! They to heavy . One tube , a pump (No bombs !!!) patch kit and plugs . Saddle bag is ok as long as it does not look like your Grama's handbag .

Wots a Puncture?

Seriously have not had one of those for soooo long now... Back in 2004 i think it was.

Saddle bag (small) on roadbike and small bag in camelback on mtb.

Handpump is on my waterbottels and tube and tyre levers in my saddle bag so easy as that.

DieTakalani2010-01-29 03:17:22

I like what Williams does on his bike, use duct-tape to tape a spare tube to your saddle post. That way you can also use the tape to repair cuts.

I also saw a guy screw bombs into the v mounts on the back of his frame.

On the subject of punctures (and I am NO expert). I am amazed that so many peeps under-inflate their tyre's and this causes punctures. I used to ride back-up for our cycling club and whenever I helped pump a tyre and asked what pressure, I always got guys feeling the tyre and saying thats OK when the pressure guage only read 5-6 bar. I always pump my tyre's to the maximum stated on the tyre. (like I said, I am no expert).

Hi,

I had an incident recently where I had a puncture on black hill where I  only one tube and 2 co2 bombs. I developed a deep gash in the tyre. In my haste I forgot to open the valve of the tube completely and wasted a complete canister.

More disaster to follow. I inspected the tyre for protrusions and found nothing. Inserted the new tube and inflated it with another CO2 bomb. The tube popped as I didn't realize I had a deep gash in the tyre.

I now ride with both pump and Co2 bombs and 2 TUBES and a small cut out from an old tyre to cover those deep gashes

Thats good for road el Kapitan but not MTB ;-)

oops, sorry about that. Yep MTB all the stuff in my hydration pack!!

Hope Noah and Mom are doing OK!!

Another thing worth mentioning is that the glue used in those puncture kits has a finite life and tends to go rubbery over time, so check it every few months and have at least two tubes. (most cycle shops stock them separately) Had an incident yesterday where I was left punctured with a long walk home. Luckily another rider gave me his spare inner tube to get me home.