All rounder mtb tyre

andretraut

I am looking for advice on a good all rounder mtb tyre. I want a fast rolling tyre on tarmac, which can handle the once or twice a week hard pack off road trail, and is relatively puncture resistant. To much asked? I use my mtb 5 to 6 days a week on the road, and do a trail once or twice a week. Currently I am am rolling on Schwalbe Rocket Rons tubeless with Stan's latex. I have considered the Furious Freds but were told that they are puncture prone, with or without Stan's. What is the opinion of the Hubbers?  

Dont know to much about RONS or FREDS but in my opinion the MAXXIS CROSSMARK LUST tyres are bulletproof! Well almost. Excellent allround tyre, low rolling resistance for tar hardpack etc and great side tread for aggresive cornering with very strong sidewalls. They have outlasted any other tyre that ive used.  

I was in a similar boat a few months ago. It was a choice between the conti mountain/race kings and the geax saguaro.

The LBS mentioned that the conti's wore alot wuicker and for that reason I decided against them and went for the geax's. So far they have been fantastic, little rolling resistance even when on tar, great traction in the mud as well.

So from my point of view Id go geax.

Crossmarks are terrible in mud, they are also prone to delaminating when using Stans.

Best all rounders IMO are

1-Schwalbe Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron

2-Conti Mountain Kings

Thanx Hubbers! I have looked at Maxxis, Kenda and Geax on the web, and although I am very tempted to get the much bespoked Furious Freds, I will choose one of the recommended ones, once I have visited my favourite LBS.  

I am looking for advice on a good all rounder mtb tyre. I want a fast rolling tyre on tarmac' date=' which can handle the once or twice a week hard pack off road trail, and is relatively puncture resistant. To much asked? I use my mtb 5 to 6 days a week on the road, and do a trail once or twice a week. Currently I am am rolling on Schwalbe Rocket Rons tubeless with Stan's latex. I have considered the Furious Freds but were told that they are puncture prone, with or without Stan's. What is the opinion of the Hubbers?  [/quote']

A rounder tyres by Schwalbe:

the Old Black Jack, The current Smart Sam, The New Black Jack

fast rolling tyre on tarmac - The centre knobbies would have to be very close together or very short for this characteristic

can handle the once or twice a week hard pack - same as above with well spaced knobbies on the sides for better cornering

relatively puncture resistant - puncture resistance is atandard in Schwalbe tyres, also look for sidewall protection like SnakeSkin

considered the Furious Freds - I would not suggest these for South African conditions

Thanx Shamus, I also prefer to stay with Schwalbe, as most highend bikes are specked with them! had a look at the Smart Sam, and I think that this will be my next tyre.