Lce Armstrong is riding the Argus!!!!

Paulst1

Just off Twitter....

Hey South Africa! Excited to come down in March. Bringing your man @darylimpey with me. And yes, we're racing The Argus. Hear gr8 things.

Going to be gr8 for the race?

I'm sure its going to be the most sort after group to ride in!!

According to the story in the Argus this afternoon, it says that he has had serious discussions with Kevin Vermaak and is almost confirmed to ride the Cape Epic 2011 too!!

Looks like Epic entries for next year will be in even bigger demand !!

According to the story in the Argus this afternoon' date=' it says that he has had serious discussions with Kevin Vermaak and is almost confirmed to ride the Cape Epic 2011 too!!

Looks like Epic entries for next year will be in even bigger demand !!

[/quote']

Perhaps we could watch the 2011 epic live on supersport each day then; like the TDF with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen commentating?

Watching the Epic live on Supersport would be cool, but riding it would be even better.

I think the chances of meeting Lance or speaking to him on the Argus are slim, unless you are lucky enough to get into his group (assuming it's one of those invitation / charity type groups like when Miguel Indurain rode). The twitter tagline says that he is coming to "race" the Argus - perhaps he is going to ride with the fast boys up front.

At the Epic you should have a fairly good chance of actually meeting and talking to him. I met Karl Platt, Stefan Sahm, Baret Brentjens, Christoff Sauser, Kevin Evans and others at the Epic and they were all friendly and easy to talk to.

Kevin E is always a friendly chap. I always popped into his shop in Plett when I was there and too this day he still recognises me and greets at races. Thats just the person he shows to the community.

At the ride that used to go from knysna to cape town but is now just a flower in my back yard, you do get to mix with the top riders but I find them uninteresting to chat to. Maybe its the language with english not their first language or maybe its just a different attitude but i have always found my completely underwhelmed by pro cyclists.

Lance on the other hand would be an incredibly interesting peopel to talk to since he has opinions and he  shares those opinions whether you want him too or not.

So if he rides the ride that was from cape town to knysna but is now just a flower in my backyard then I think it would be an interesting opportunity to rub shoulders with him just for a 15min chat.

you  have to respect the guy, he is who and what he is and projects it unashamedly.

You're right in that the language thing was a bit of a barrier, but all of them were approachable and friendly. Karl Platt chatted to me as if he was just another cyclist (not a world champion) - totally different to some of our local sports stars I have met - who came across as total snobs, and couldn't be bothered to talk to you.

Rubbing shoulders with Lance would be very interesting!! I know there are a lot of "non Lance Fans" out there, but I'm not one, I admire him a lot.