Crank Clicking Sound

Zula

Morning ya'll

So yesterday I rode the emperors and noticed that my crank made a funny clicking/grinding type of noise when I got out the saddle to pedal, it sounds like this coming from the crank.

Im a bit sick and tired of taking the bike to the LBS every time it needs some QT.

So......I wanna try fix this myself.

Besides getting the proper tools to remove the crank and BB any pointers as to what I could do to aleviate the problem?

Any feedback is appreciated

OK - i'll open the bidding. Oil the pedals. Had the clicking thing and dosed them with Q20. Clcking gone! They are SPD MTB pedals though.

It would depend on the type of crank. If it is not sealed you can try and save money by rebuilding it with new bearing - see sticky, but in general the most common way of fixing it is to replace it.  To do it yourself is a 15min job at most and you can get away without the 'proper' tools but the chances of something going pear shaped is just so much greater.

PS. if you have a definite clicking/grinding sound you should be able to feel it if you remove your chain and spin the crank. Symptoms of my last BB that went south was as you describe.

chuck2010-02-08 02:37:30

Pedals.  Just tighten them.  Had the same thing on my Cannondale last couple of weeks.  Also do a search; this topic has been discussed quite regularly.

If its clicking at the same point in the pedal stroke maybe the big chain ring is touching the front derailler under big load. Is it still there after washing the bike?

If its clicking at the same point in the pedal stroke maybe?the big chain ring is touching the front derailler under big load. Is it still there after washing the bike?

To be honest, no I have'nt washed it yet.

Ill try removing and cleaning/greasing up the pedals. Next up will be removing the crank to clean it and grease it.

The click only happens under load.

Hi

Agree with pedals. Take pedals off, clean and grease them. Then tighten them using an allen key, but do not use force simply apply between your thumb and first 2 fingers. It is enough.

Not sure if you have removed pedals before, but they have different threads. Easiest to remember is if you put crank with pedal you are loosening with pedal at 60'clock, then you put an allen key in so that it points toward the rear of your bike. Then put you foot on it and press down till it releaes. This work for both sides.

It could also be that the person who fitted your chain put the pin in on the incorrect side if you are using Shimano. Check the broken/dark pin and see if it protrudes to the bike side or to the outside. If it is on the outside check if it is not touching the front derailler as it passes. Also check all the other links if something is not possibly loose or broken as this will also produce the sound. Please note: Chain pin and link problems only make a souund about every 2-2.5 turns of the pedal stroke, crank/pedals problems will do it every turn.

Then there is also the slight chance that your crank is hitting the front derailler cable every time you pedal through. May just be slightly when you stand due to just enough flex.

Then there is always the possibility it couldl be your cleats. Check boltls are tightened to correct torque and that they are clean of dust and tiny stones if you have plastic ones.

Anyway, just the major causes here for interest to everyone for future.

My guess is the BB. Dirt between the BB and the threads in the frame. Water gets in there and evaporates, leaving its filthy, clicking soluables behind.

Remove the BB, clean and grease it and replace.

1 - Dirt in BB

2 - Loose chainring bolts

3 - Pedals

4 - Seatpost at insert

5 - Seatpost at saddle

Usual suspects in order of frequency

Ok, so i removed and cleaned the pedals, greased with q20 which Im told is a no go, so ill get some proper grease this week.

Now, as far as I understand, this is how to remove the crank and BB (shimano hollowtech).

1. Loosen the bolts on the no drive side crank and remove the crank arm

2. Use a mallet to knock the crank out on the drive side

3. Using the appropriate tool, remove the non drive side of the BB

4. Now remove the drive side of the BB

5. Clean and grease the threads

6. Reinstall the BB, drive side first

7. Clean and grease the crank and inside of the BB

8. Push the crank through and put on the non drive side crank arm

Last question, is it imperative to have a torque wrench to tighten the bolts n the non drive side crank arm?