Better half dismounted at 30kph..

dollar

Dollar best wishes a fall is no fun but she will need lots of T L C. fix the bike and let it hang in the garage and when she feels right she will take it down and go for a little ride at first. But as they say if one falls off the horse the best way to get over ones fear is to get up and get back on asap. Riding super bikes you should know. But to each his own i supposeBig G2010-03-05 08:58:25

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A positive update Big%20smile

Her mom, staff and some clients have suggested that she may be too old to be riding - man - has this got her goat. Now I am told that the bike must be fixed by next week Thumbs%20Up

Arrange for someone to tell her that after just a few days she's already getting a bigger bum. Sounds t?like your wife's a toughie- all the best to both of you for taking up riding together again.

Dollar, as a cyclist i've been there done that... at 59kmph during hte amashova back in 2006 (at least, that was the most "memorable" one which will never be forgotten). I truly feel for your mrs and hope she hels up soon.

Now some advice:

1st things first, as a girl, scars on the face suck. Get your doc to prescribe Chloramex. It's an opthalmic ointment (usually used after corneal grafts etc) but it does WONDERS for skin healing. Apparently many plastic surgeons use it. Then, once the skin has healed Avroy Schlain tissue oil.

I was told I'd need a couple of plastic surgery sessions to fix the damage on my face. Never needed to happen - the above regime worked so well that you can hardly see that half my forhead was hanging off my skull.

Secondly - give her a few days and she'll be raring to get back on, but when she does she might have small panic attacks - just make sure that she always has an "escape route" when riding in a bunch.

3rd give her lots of TLC while she heals up.

Any update on her quest to prove that she is not too old or that her bum has not grown??

I am sure it is/was bloody sore and a hell of a shock, but you can tell the missus that it is highly amusing to read...

I hope she is better and raring to go.

No change - but I am on the second hand market for an old model Ultegra or 105 RD Big%20smile

I took a fall abut a year ago, going about 60 KPH. It was scary and I ended in the hospital, with some permanent damage on the tendons on my left arm.

It took me about a month and a half before I got back on a bike, and even then I felt very unstable. But over a few weeks I regained my confidence and began to enjoy it again. Now I feel more confident having had a fall and knowing the seriousness of it, as well as what to watch out for.

It took time but I enjoy cycling just as much if not more after the accident as I did before. And I have more confidence.

Ouch! I chewed tar 6 months ago, 3 months off the bike to recover from a broken collar bone & wrist. got back on the MTB in November, nice and slow and riding the Argus next week. Take it slow, don't rush, after a month I missed the bike, after 2 was angry as hell that I couldn't ride, by month 3 I realized I needed to heal and get back on when I was ready. Agree helmet saved my life for sure, split in half but took the hit well, and it was 'nogal' a 10 year -old Cratoni

A positive update?Big%20smile Her mom' date=' staff and some clients have suggested that she may be too old to be riding - man - has this got her goat. Now I am told that the bike must be fixed by next week?Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

An excellent example of reverse psychology smiley36.gif

May your wife heal quickly, both physically and mentally!

I was riding the Sani2c when I called my missus and found she'd hit one of Jhb's many trenches at about 15kph that morning and had gone over the handle barsand knocked herself out on the pavement.

I wasn't popular having fun some 600kms away!

Looks like someone gave her a massive klap - bruising and stitches to her eye and cheek, so the in-laws are now checking me out skeef...

I hope your lady recovers soon, too!

Terrible news about the three cylists in the Cape. This is really making me think seriously about riding on the road?

I am starting to wonder if its on a par with riding a motorcycle.......

dollar, in the past 3 years i've hardly put 3000km (if that) on my car. i've put over 20000km on the motorbikes... i even use one of the motorbikes to do monthly shopping if it's not too much. i have never ever ever (not even on the back of an R1 on phakisa or the back of a GS scraping foot pegs on zwartkops) felt as much at risk as i do on the bicycle. but that doesn't stop me cycling. it just makes me extra cautious.

(ps i've never hurt myself on a motorbike as badly as i have on the bicycle)

A positive update Big%20smile

Her mom' date=' staff and some clients have suggested that she may be too old to be riding - man - has this got her goat. Now I am told that the bike must be fixed by next week Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

There a good girl!  Well done!  One is never too old to ride. Good luck with the recovery and first few times out.Clap

Hey Slowpoke - I also feel a lot more vulnerable on my bicycle - compared to my 600? I thought it was just me. The thing that really bothers me is that I get passed by all the traffic all the time. Without mirrors you never really know what is behind you.

The other thing is that people really dont see you on a bicycle. At least on the bike you have really potent lights - I ride on brights always. They cannot say that they did not see me - I leave two little burns on their corneasLOL

dollar, re the brights - a much better option that doesn't incite fury from people being blinded is nightbreakers or coolblues with tinted protectors - as long as you use yellow or amber you are legal. i'm still going to put tinted protectors on my CBR but that was one of the first things i did to the SV.

thing is that it's not just that - i almost got taken out one morning a couple of years back when i had my flashing red light on the bike, my double-flash green clipped to my back, my flashing blue valve lights, reflective tape all over, my sigma karma's to the front and my knog frogs on both hubs. it's that most drivers do not see cyclists as valid road users :-(