Cycling shops

Charl_TC3

Good service.
And a smile ... a bit of friendliness and interest in the customer never hurts.

+1

little things like actually phoning me back when they say they would' date=' [/quote']

I agree 100%.

If you say you'll call back, call back. Even if it's just to say that you were unsuccessful or are still waiting for a reply. Don't leave me guessing and force me to call again: that's when I point Firefox in the direction of CRC.

service!!!!! non arrogant staff, phone back when say they will.

get that right and people wont shop around

Honesty and mechanics that know what they are doing.

Sorting a problem when told about it and not just ignore it.

Service + Good Tech knowledge and a open mind to other brands that they don't stock in order to give you an honest opinion on the products that they do.

I know Four LBS's that I call on because of this and I often refer people to them.

Free Bump here and alphabetical order - CAPE TOWN SHOPS:

Bowmans Cycles

Cycles Direct

Epic Cycles

Williams Bike Shop

Hairy

Good/helpful/friendly service and advice, honesty, variety(stock and new goodies) and trained mechanics that don't do rush jobs. 

If these are in place, most people won't mind paying more.

I wouldn't !  But at most shops thats not the case, so people go to CRC.

not taking three days to get your bike back is a good start. then free coffee.  and free stickers.  anything free is good. 

Able to browse their stock and prices online.

Ability to see what is in stock and what can be ordered in + how long the order will take. Olympic Cycles has huge stock but obviously without the volume of turnover they have this can be impractical for smaller shops.

So why not invest in a website and show off not just what you have, but what you can get, what you recommend and at what price.

Then peeps who trust your work and value your service can order ahead of time to have work done, get custom builds or just order parts ahead of time / wishlist them for when they have the cash.

You could also use this site to show off your custom builds or post links to stuff you think is cool and get a feel for whether your market is interested in it.

Beyond the website thing, great service and fanatical product knowledge has to be the biggest asset for any shop. Like Justin Berry used to offer, or Lance at the Epic Bike Shop. And have a couch in your shop - make it a place where people like to hang out. If you can, get a decent coffee machine and some good mags or videos.

It must be tough running a small LBS these days but I think there is room for innovation.

Competent sales staff.

Pretend that my business is important to you, even if I'm just buying a low cost item.
slowlady2010-03-08 12:25:51

Im with slowlady, being young people DO NOT take you seriously, yet I've got a much bigger dispoasable income than most working adults, so about all of thats goes into cycling.

Many times I've wanted to buy but walked out and taken busines elsewhere, as people seem to think you can't afford anything and look down on you. 

Must be open past 5pm on weekdays

Must be open past 2pm on Saturdays

Must be open on Sundays

ditto......

Do you enjoy riders working on your bike? Do you enjoy riders offering assistance with sales?

If yes, then when do you expect bike shop staff to ride?

Service from a bicycle shop is more technical than flipping burgers or pumping gas... but if you would be content with McD's style customer-staff interaction then I think it would be fair to expect 24/7 service.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">