Iron Man

Watched the Iron Man last night , I definitely want to try this at some stage in my life!!

I wonder if the reason why Mr Tissink lost the race has got any thing to do with the fact that he rode a Scott TT bike and not the CERVELO!!smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

I wonder if the reason why Mr Tissink lost the race has got any thing to do with the fact that he rode a Scott TT bike and not the CERVELO!!smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

I doubt it, there were plenty of C3's on the course and I passed most of them on my Scott so it wasn't about the bike but then again Ironman rarely is. Raynard still did an awesome bike considering the conditions and ultimately he was beaten by the great run from Schellens.

Don't think about it for too much nochain, enter and commit to it, finishing is worth every minute of training.

When you do manage to complete an Ironman one day, you would understand that every finisher is a winner, even if only in his/her own mind.

The life of a Pro-Triathlete is an uncertain one, esp. in SA. I wouldn't blame Raynard for switching to a plasma if it meant being able to look after his family.

That said, it is does seem strange seeing him on a Scott. I'm a devoted Cervelo fan and owner, partly because of his exploits on a P3!smileys/smiley2.gif

To all who went down this year, I hope you found what you were after. 

Hows about a detailed race report? We had a brilliant day last year, but from the TV coverage of this year, it seems you guys had it a bit ruff?

Gales, rain, choppy sea's and a cool evening but everyone that finished will tell you it was a great day.

Swim - First lap was good, the sea was pretty flat and after the blue bottle issue from the previous day we were glad to get out there safely. Second lap the wind picked up (even more) and the sea got very choppy causing most people to swim off course and find themselves a few minutes slower.

Bike - rain storm for the first half hour followed by very strong headwinds to the turnaround (not halfway, about 23km). Upside was a nice ride back although I found the overcast conditions a little too cool for my liking. It felt as though the wind died down a bit at lunch time but I may have been mistaken.

Run - nice route, plenty of support (thanks to the spectators) and the sun even stuck its head out just just before setting.

For something of this size, the organisation was impeccable and I cannot think of another event that runs this well (races or otherwise). The people of PE were fantastic and joined in the celebrations rather than complaining about their city being virtually shut down for 24 hours.

There were some great times posted in the various age groups, which are even more remarkable considering the conditions but as you say Ntense, every finisher was a winner in their own right and on such a tough day it made that medal and t-shirt seem so much more important than they normally do.

Sir Fed38799.5365972222

Speak of good running of event, I met the guys of ironmanlive in the garden court hotels breakfast room, and they say triangle is excellent, they are about the only organisers who think with the athlete in mind. Excellent guys, nice thing about living in hotels, you meet interesting people.