A question on MTB sizing

wesley_r

Hi all

Check out this thread: https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=79167

I've settled on the Mongoose Tyax Super (or Elite, budget depending) as my first MTB... well, since I was a "tiener"...

I am 1.83m tall, and just about all the LBS sales guys reckon a large is my size. Rode the Tyax in a L (and a couple of other bikes) and they all feel right. BUT, when standing over the bike my crotch is touching the top tube (not resting on, just just touching). I've read that you should have at least 2 inches of clearance in that, uhm, area...?

There wasn't a M mongoose in store, but I jumped on a M Merida and it felt a little too small...

What are your thoughs? Go for a Medium, or don't stress about the clearance on the L?

Of course, I wasn't wearing bike shorts, so perhaps some, erm, tighter packaging down there would help? smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

My nuts touch my GT frame, this is a medium, the smaller frame, well, that just felt really small, gave me a funny riding position and I felt that I had to have the seat post pulled too far out. So I opted for a medium frame.

I have ridden my old bike for many years with no problems and I touched the frame on that one as well.

I suppose at the end of the day its your family jewels and its up to you if you are OK with them just touching the frame.

id say your frame is too large for you

You are correct in saying that there needs to be a gap inbetween said area & top tube ( dont think it should be quite 2 inches though but there needs to be a gap ). I would if i were you take the bike back & insist that you want a medium size & unfortuntaly you will probaly have to wait until they get stock in again

Problem is the cycle store probaly wanted to get the bike sold so the cycle store staff will say anything to you & make it sound legit that you actually need that specific frame size.

Thing is....... you are the one thats going to be uncomfortable & not riding to your true potential due to incorrect bike sizing

just my 2 zim dollas

I'm in the advantageous position that I have not yet bought the bike, so no issues there. I'll hit up a couple of other shops tomorrow and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion smiley2.gif

I think going with my cycling shorts would be a good option, I usually wear baggy shorts and this could be contributing... and no, i'm not braggin smiley3.gif

Hold on... just about all the LBS guys recomend a large, you said the M felt too small. You got a large...........what was the question again?

I'm in the advantageous position that I have not yet bought the bike' date=' so no issues there. I'll hit up a couple of other shops tomorrow and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion smiley2.gif

I think going with my cycling shorts would be a good option, I usually wear baggy shorts and this could be contributing... and no, i'm not braggin smiley3.gif [/quote']

LOLLOL We will let the girls figure that one out for themselves Wink

Hold on... just about all the LBS guys recomend a large' date=' you said the?M felt too small. You got a large...........what was the question again?[/quote']

my nads. but wait, i already have a kid, so i guess it's not the end of the world   smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

(haven't bought the bike yet)

hey wes, dont forget...

it also depends on how low 'they' go.....

I am a couple of cm's taller than you and ride a large.  It may also take a few longer rides for you to really be 100% sure....

hey wes' date=' dont forget...

it also depends on how low 'they' go.....

?

I am a couple of cm's taller than you and ride a large.? It may also take a few longer rides for you to really be 100% sure....
[/quote']

smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

i've actually been riding a XL for the last while (borrowed) so I'm sure I'll be fine

it all depends on frame design. If you look at some of the FS bikes you can see that the top tubes drop down more with supports running up to the seat tube. Personally I never look at seat tube length or the S,M,L stickers. Go according to top tube length.

it all depends on frame design. If you look at some of the FS bikes you can see that the top tubes drop down more with supports running up to the seat tube. Personally I never look at seat tube length or the S' date='M,L stickers. Go according to top tube length.[/quote']

I'm inclined to do that - while I am fairly tall, I have shorter legs but carry my height in my upper body with broad shoulders - so while the top tube might feel high when standing over I like the distance and size of the "cockpit"

Hi Wes,

We have met some time back on a m/cycle trip. In my opion you are a (Large. On a medium frame your weight will move too much "over" the handle bars and technical rides (downhills) will be more challenging and uncomfortable (neck pains, etc.) I am 1.88 and my Merida XL is just right.

my 2c's

JAcoM

Hi Wes' date='

We have met some time back on a m/cycle trip. In my opion you are a (Large. On a medium frame your weight will move too much "over" the handle bars and technical rides (downhills) will be more challenging and uncomfortable (neck pains, etc.) I am 1.88 and my Merida XL is just right.

my 2c's

JAcoM

[/quote']

That is just a ball park assumption. I'm 1.8 and my HT Raleigh was a 19" M, my FS Santa Cruz was a 20" L and the top tube is shorter then the Raleigh. On a HT KHS I will use a 17" M with the top tube almost the same as the Santa Cruz.

went back again - this time with cycling shorts on smiley2.gif

the top tube touches my family goons only just - you could fit a piece of paper between them   smiley17.gif

all in all though, the bike feels right - they have a medium in stock (just not built up) so at least i know they're not trying to flog the bike, but both sales guys reckon large it is...

so large it is... picking up tomorrow   smiley32.gif

It sound like you are bying the wrong bike. It shouldn't touch. But above all you need to be happy on the bike and feel good. I personaly think you are going to have issues with it. I have a Spec Stumpjumper in XL and my Spec Epic is a L so doesn't make matter what anyone says. If the bike feels right make it work or you. Enjoy the new baby and hope to meet you on thr trails sometime.Smile