Why do I keep doing the Argus?

Wobbles

I wonder if the guys from PE complain as much as the rest of us?

The wind was unkind, it stuffed up any goals of a sub 3 so this year I rode to Fish Hoek with the E group, then sat up and enjoyed the ride where I could.  A sub 4 compared to 2009 but more importantly, I finished my 30th.

I have joined a club and registered with CSA with the idea of starting with the other old farts in VB next year, thats if I can keep up with them. 

Rememebr, there will always be next year.

This year it was promised that the wind would not be a factor

you got contacts high up?

If the Argus is on the 11th or 15th of March we will have good weather.

Go look back at the previous dates and you will find that is the perfect dates for the Argus.

the friday before and monday after were PERFECT days.

last year i  had to concentrate too hard to keep myself and the tandem in one piece, couldn't enjoy the views - so this year the views were extra-stunning!!

when's it on 11 or 15 march again??

... anybody want to do some long range weather forecasts for the mtb race next year - don't fancy the idea of riding 55km through the cauldrons of hell again smiley29.gif

argus is not a race.  But if you want to race it' date=' follow the following tips:

one, ride the seeding races (this helps with your seedings)

two, ride other races and keep the results as evidence, for a fee they will reseed you up if you can show that you are stronger than your seeding group.

three, get a ride partner in your group that is slightly better than you, to act as your lead out on the first half of the route, in this way you can get a better line through the crowds.

four, start at the front of your start group, this is where all the guys who are strong start.  they have better rider discipline and skills, and will be more willing to work together to get away from the crowds and through any blockages.

five, get your climbing legs on for the second half of the race (ride).  Here is where flying up the ride side of the road will work.

six, downhill.  you must ride away from the crowds on the down hills. 

seven, take your own provisions.  stopping at refreshement stations will add at least 10 minutes per stop.  Two bottles and a few GU's should be enough for a sub 3:30.

good luck for next year
[/quote']

Thanks for the sound advice Canaris - I will definitely try and get an earlier start - would you say about 7:00am would be good?

If the Argus is on the 11th or 15th of March we will have good weather.

I don't think the Argus will ever take place on the 15th again - it's now always on the second Sunday of March.