Your favourite route?

MeSuperFast

I am writing an article for a local magazine on best local routes. Please let me know your regular or favourite ride and why you like it! Cape Town's easy but where are the great rides in Gauteng and beyond? Your opinions please!!

I am writing an article for a local magazine on best local routes. Please let me know your regular or favourite ride and why you like it! Cape Town's easy but where are the great rides in Gauteng and beyond? Your opinions please!!

Which mag?

Sorry guys - Mountain bike routes please!

Dirtbreath - this is a sidebar piece for a main article written by someone else for one of the men's mags, not a cycling publication. I'll post a link to the story once its accepted - is that ok?

...for one of the men's mags' date=' not a cycling publication.[/quote']

does this mag come in a plastic bag?

Van Gaalens:
The best singletrack in the area and a bit of a challenging climb up to the ?Griekse Kerk?. Its a nice spot to take the family with seeing that its a cheese farm, you can have a picnics there and there is a restaurant as well
www.vangaalen.co.za/

Teak Place:
Some great winding singletrack, a short lung bursting climb or two and a spot to have coffee as well. There is a floating bridge and Dawie the garden gnome has been seen once or twice before. Its in the cradle of human kind, so you can make an outing of it for the family
www.teakplace.co.za/

Groenkloof
Its a small game reserve in the heart of PTA. The terrain has a bit of everything. Singletrack, rocky descents, some climbing (at onion hill) and right next to Groenkloof is Fountains where you can do some XC riding. I personally use Fountains as a bit of pudding after a ride. You can have a picnic at Groenkloof, go on horse ride, hike and rent some bicycles for those in the family that only tags along once in a while
http://www.tshwane.gov.za/groenkloof.cfm

I agree with Grondpad on Groenkloof! Awesome singletrack, well marked routes throughout, you always find some zebra, giraffe or something and it's right on our doorstep!

Thanks Grondpad, you da man! From my side: I dig my table mountain loop from my house up to Rhodes mem, to the tampon towers, across Klooknek to signal hill, then all the way back along Tafelberg Rd, bombing down the jeep tracks at the end, with a fast finish down the back of the memorial to the bridge. Off-road riding that starts from your door rules!

Also Tokai is always good, lots of singletrack, great views and a nice testing hill climb to the mast. Bonus points for being 10 minutes drive away..

whats so easy about Cape town??Big%20smile

Van Gaalens:
The best singletrack in the area and a bit of a challenging climb up to the ?Griekse Kerk?. Its a nice spot to take the family with seeing that its a cheese farm' date=' you can have a picnics there and there is a restaurant as well
www.vangaalen.co.za/

Teak Place:
Some great winding singletrack, a short lung bursting climb or two and a spot to have coffee as well. There is a floating bridge and Dawie the garden gnome has been seen once or twice before. Its in the cradle of human kind, so you can make an outing of it for the family
www.teakplace.co.za/

Groenkloof
Its a small game reserve in the heart of PTA. The terrain has a bit of everything. Singletrack, rocky descents, some climbing (at onion hill) and right next to Groenkloof is Fountains where you can do some XC riding. I personally use Fountains as a bit of pudding after a ride. You can have a picnic at Groenkloof, go on horse ride, hike and rent some bicycles for those in the family that only tags along once in a while
http://www.tshwane.gov.za/groenkloof.cfm

[/quote']

+1

Segwati Ranch out Hekpoort Side.

Also good tracks, lots of animals like Zebra, wildebees, girafe and some buck species. The Telkom Satelite route runs through here. Also Afterwards you can have a braai, there is showers, toilets and coffeee facilities.

Gordons Bay to Hermanus. Or Stellenbosch to Franshoek. I don't think it get more beautiful that that on tar.

Groenberg near wellington- The old LOOOng main line through Jonkershoek. The Downhill on the redroute in knysna, the one Just before the stop sign. In fact the whole Red route. The Bridal trail In tokai. The Downhill from Knysna Oyster festival that we use to call Poison spider...

What do you call a good trail?

because the favourite one, is the 300m of singletrack just behind my flat in tamboerskloof Cape Town, the one the other guys walk down. Because It keeps me sane, I can trap up to it in 15 minutes and then ride down in 5, sections of it looks like a WC downhill course, so It leaves me pumped!

I reckon grondpad has hit the nail on the head. Rietvlei might be up there but I cant say personally. I also dont think any piece could be complete without the Spruit and Northern Farm purely from an accessibilty and range point of view.