Whats your opinion on S.A. Suppliers??

MobileBikeTec

Reminds me of the slightly different problem I have with Avalanche. Have a kids Avalanche MAX - R1700 new so not totally cheap stuff. The chain guard broke off and I have approached 3 dealers who cant help get me a new one. One called the importers who said they cant help. I have emailed them (from their web site) 2X with no reply. No telephone numbers available. Terrible after sales service! Will buy from CRC or elsewhere from abroad now.

to me it's very simple - my lbs can't provide good prices but that would be ok if they added extra value like aftersales/warranty service and installed stuff properly so I rather pay less, bypass them and buy over the net.  If there are issues I can sort them out myself or buy another unit for the money saved, easy !

I don't trust ANY so called supplier in SA anymore. They have a tendency to drop dealerships almost as quick as they can get them. Makes things frustrating for lbs's, when the dealerships keep changing and in the end the customer suffers.

I will always try the LBS's first, who do try to help, but ultimately get let down the the so called supplier, and it's becoming easier and easier not to even bother.

Yes - there's a very cozy relationship between the SA suppliers and the bike shops.

I've had some great experiences with warrantee/missing parts claims from CRC and other online suppliers over the past 5 years too. (3 claims in 5 years, worth perhaps R3 or 4k, all resolved for free).

Please give your view on my scenario....

I've got my own business going and loving what I'm doing' date=' the only bump in the road is that S.A. product suppliers wont supply to a business if you dont have a showroom floor....

I would understand if it is bikes, all well and good, but I'm talking spares, cables, cable ends, chains cassettes etc... I'm not asking for an account, C.O.D only, nut they wont do it?! I even said I'll put branding on my car for the products!

The way I'm doing it now is through one of the shops in JHB (wont mention the name, coz suppliers will give him a mouth full) I get all my spares through him at a good price, and all the bikes I sell then I just send my clients directly to him.

?

I just think the S.A. suppliers is missing the wagon, and the smaller guys just go straight to Chain Reaction Cycles....

?

Thanks

Juan

Mobile Bicycle Technix

[/quote']

why do you need a bricks and mortar setup when you can have a website.? If it's advertising of wares, surely then it can be done as effectively electronically. Yes, you can't touchy feel, but who buys bike spares on how it feels? Bike fitment is another story. and yes, for a the complete noob, a bricks and mortar setup is the best place to go test out a bike.

Seems almost as if the supplier in question is holding onto the dark ages to some extent.

I must admit, I worked in a very big shop in PTA and we worked very close with Dragon Sports (Giant Agents) and they are the only guys I feel that stands head and shoulders above the rest.

It was really a supplier that made me want a shop one day, then I moved to JHB, worked in a shop that had probably the most expensive brand on the floor, and we had to get everything from that one supplier coz the owner said they were looking at starting a concept store... (store got liquidated)Well, after that experience I'll never in my life go back to retail in a bike shop.

Doing my own thing now, and loving every moment, shops must wake up and realize that the workshop should be the "core" of the shop, not pushing products on to people just for the sake of selling.

Thanks guys for all the views and oppinions.

Juan