WHICH IS THE BEST MTB CHAIN?

Titanium Rocket

And we get back to a racial discussion.AngryLOL

63 kgs! Bit more muscle! What do you do? Strap a beef fillet to your Camelbak? They should really penalise guys that weigh that little. I weighed more than you when I was in Std 6.

And we get back to a racial discussion.AngryLOL

63 kgs! Bit more muscle! What do you do? Strap a beef fillet to your Camelbak? They should really penalise guys that weigh that little. I weighed more than you when I was in Std 6.

Well firstly, I don't ride with a Camelbak Tongue but I did weigh 75kg in Matric(2006) but started eating better and cycling more (did my first race the 94,7 mtb then) and dropped 15kg.  Was a bit skinny so gained a bit of muscle, can probly lose a kg or so, don't have 0% body fat, students must still have Windhoek and Mc'Donalds !

Light me + light hardtail = Easy climbing ;)

Try SRAM PC-951.  Good value for money.

I have one those on. Best way to go is to use the chain that goes with your groupset. SRAM on SRAM...

Good to hear about the SRAM PC 951, I just ordered a 3 pack from CRC. They seem to get as-good reviews as the expensive ones.

I've had it with Wipperman's... Mine were not great...

Shimano HG-53... yes... Deore chain...

That's all I use... get 3 and change to the next one every 300km... your drivetrain will last much longer...

Weenie u are cracking me up here . Unlike with everything else where you pay more you get more ' date=' in the cycle game you pay more to get less . And you are the reason for this insanity !! The fact is that a cheaper chain WILL last longer than a expensive XT/XTR or whatever chain . The same goes for blades , BB bearings , shifters etc . I think headsets are about the only exception . [/quote']

I agree with vuil uil here but am not as cheapskate as him so go with the LX level chains Wink

I use SRAM PC991 cross-step. Bit more expensive (R241) but I've been very impressed with them on some way out ther MTB riding. Not broken a chain since I swopped over about 5 years ago.

Maybe I got better at maintenance too.

That's all I use... get 3 and change to the next one every 300km... your drivetrain will last much longer...

WHY??  If there is nothing wrong withyour chain - why then replace it?

I'm on the HG53 and keep it clean & lubed at all times....2000+km's and still no problem!! I punish my cahinset as well - not the lightest bloke around....

My vote is Shimano HG 53 or 73...

WHY??  If there is nothing wrong withyour chain - why then replace it?

I'm on the HG53 and keep it clean & lubed at all times....2000+km's and still no problem!! I punish my cahinset as well - not the lightest bloke around....

My vote is Shimano HG 53 or 73...

I should've been clearer... rotate through the 3 until they are worn out... for me it's 300km a week, so every 3 weeks I clean chains, mark them, start the cycle over.

I get around 1200km per chain before I feel that it's too 'loose' , or before shifting starts suffering.

At least, that's what works best for me. I been through all the expensive chains, they all take the same amount of time to get stretched. I've NOT tried the Wipperman Stainless Steel, but if I take how the other Connex chains lasted me, I'm not tempted to pay almost R500 for a chain.

1200km between chain replacement??

Whoa man I'm glad your not my bike mechanic Shocked

I've got a XTR chain on my S Works Epic that is the original chain from 2004 !!

In fact my Trek 8500 chain (XT) was last replaced in 2002 and my road bike is also the original chain from 2005 (i think its a 2005).

Ok I'm not a big mile junkie and have 2 mtbks and roadbike that share the training load but i'm damn well sure got much more than 1200 km on any of the chains.

SwissVan - you got to ride a bikes to wear the chains.  LOL!!

For info:  The SRAM PC-951, -971 and -991 have the same Strength specification.  The only difference between the 951 and the more expensive ones is a BLING coatings on 971 and 991.  After a few km's the nice shiny chain is also full of dirt.

I use 3 chains.  Rotate about every 1000km.  Can easily get 6000km on 3 x PC-951 and PG-990 casette. Using SQUIRT (apply about every 80-100km) when dry and Motorex wet lube when wet. 

I don't recommend XT casette.  They are very soft.  Don't know about XTR.  Never tried them. 

Used LX casette once (only about 80gram heavier than XT) - was still good at 6000km when bike was forcefully taken from me.

hehe... I must also add, I frequently tap 600W or more doing intervals so I put a bit more stress on a chain than the average Joe...

Surely I can do more than 1200km on a chain but by that time the rollers are already very loose and it's better to replace them and save your cassette for the next new set...

When I train seriously it's a chain a month, no matter what type or brand I use... HG 53 lasts just as long as the expensive ones.

SwissVan - you got to ride a bikes to wear the chains.  LOL!!

Ja ja dont mock ...I believe in quality over quantity Wink

And 5 - 6 months of the year is indoor training on a spinning bike, which also has a chain which has not been replaced since new...