garmin 305 edge

hagar

Go onto Mationbased.com Their is heaps of info. You can actually see how your rate of climb per hour increases. This one of the closest indicators to power you canĀ  get!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - I use my motionbased account as well. However, I find all the software lacking when it comes to comparing. I'd like to drag one graph over another and see the differences visually. that kinda thing..

I am working on a possible solution and upgrade in conjuction with Garmin and Virtual Spectator. Hope to have it up and running by end of year. Also working so it can determine you Poweroutput while climbing, but a lot of work still to do there.

Wow - that sounds awesome! Can you give me more info? Is it a commercial package? I'm a developer so if its open source or you need help, shout!

Will do. Have to go though some setup steps first. Will thn get into contact once we are going and see how we can work on this

I see Hagar ordered already, but thought I would still mention that direct import is also an option to consider for Garmin equipment - the local Garmin agent takes a huge markup...

Ā 

Often you can save a lot by ordering direct from USA. There is no import duty on navigation equipment. You only pay the VAT and courier / clearing charges. The exchange rate has deteriorated over the last few months, so the saving will be less now, but could still be worth it, especially for the higher end Garmin models.

Ā 

The local agents will not provide after sales service / guarantee repairs for direct imports, but Garmin International will - you just need to pay the shipping to send it back in the unlikely event of a problem.

Ā 

There are various online dealers e.g.Ā  http://www.gpscity.com/

Ā 

Ā 

slowjoe, i run with my Edge305 by popping it into a pocket (it's smaller than aĀ cell phone so it really isn't an issue)Ā - i've not yet had an issue doing that

Ā 

slowjoe' date=' i run with my Edge305 by popping it into a pocket (it's smaller than aĀ cell phone so it really isn't an issue)Ā - i've not yet had an issue doing that[/quote']

Ā 

As long as you are not too concerned about an accurate track log with good resolution, that should be fine. (I often generate maps from my track recordings, so my standards are high).

Ā 

You should note that water, i.e. your body, blocks GPS signal.

Placing your GPS receiver in a clothing pocket will reduce the accuracy of the track log and might also cause the track to be fragmented due to intermittent signal loss.

Ensuring that the receiver has the best possible view of the sky will give better results, e.g. strap it to your upper arm when running.

On the bike use a handle bar mount.

Placing it high in your hydration pack (on the out side of the bladder) might even be better, but then it is not accessible while riding.

Ā 

All depends on what you want to achieve...

Ā 

Ā 

mountain lion, i have the edge305 so no strap to put on arm. i've not had a robem yet and i'm only interested in the basic info - route, gradient, speed, time and hr.

Ā 

mountain lion' date=' i have the edge305 so no strap to put on arm. i've not had a robem yet and i'm only interested in the basic info - route, gradient, speed, time and hr.[/quote']

Ā 

Just because there was no strap included in the box does not mean you can't work out a way yourself... Wink

Ā 

Just wanted to make people aware of the limitations. It is more of an issue when you work in less than ideal situations, e.g. in mountainous terrain or under heavy tree cover where the topography starts to shield satellites / parts of the sky. Then you need to have an optimal placement.

I am sure it works fine for your application.

Ā 

Ā 

Yep - that virtual training partner is a REALLY awesome function. The device is so cool. However' date=' I find the software on the PC a little lacking... I've ended up using a 3rd party app - sportstracks. Very cool, but still limited compared to what polar software can do. Check out the software at http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/[/quote']

What would you say are SportTracks' specific limitations, FD?

P.S. SportTracks' developer is due to holiday in Cape Town in October.

Ā 

slowjoe' date=' i run with my Edge305 by popping it into a pocket (it's smaller than aĀ cell phone so it really isn't an issue)Ā - i've not yet had an issue doing that[/quote']

Ā 

A friend of mine has the forerunner and it is definately the better of the two units seeing that you can wear it as a watch to run,spin,swim with or put it on your bike.

Ā 

It truly is an awesome piece of gadgetry and the virtual partner is the pitts...

Hagar, glad you got the Garmin. I have one and I love it. Only 2 problems - 1. It does not show the temp (not an massive issue) and 2. It does not have power output. That menas that if you upgrade to Ergomo or the likes, you need to replace the Garmin completely.

Ā 

I am an info junkie and I have loaded my main screen with all sorts of facts. I LOVE knowing what the gradient is whenever I go up hills.

Ā 

A friend of mine has the forerunner and it is definately the better of the two units seeing that you can wear it as a watch to run,spin,swim with or put it on your bike.

Ā 

It truly is an awesome piece of gadgetry and the virtual partner is the pitts...

Ā 

So wud the forerunner have all the cycle functions aswell ??

slowjoe, i can't remember the exact details as to why i chose the Edge over the Forunner, but i know it was cycling related...