mast challenge on a road bike??

Jon0

is it a good idea?

has it been done before?

anything to be carefull of?

an extra advise?

thanks

has been done, darren lill won it (on time) on a schwinn road bike a few years back.......makes me think, perhaps I should trty it on my CX bike........35c knobblies might just be perfect......

35c ???

its got normal road tires on it.....

will be tough on the gravel part? how much harder? able to keep up with the mtb bikes?

the road will be perfect.....

looking for a cyclo cross bike=1st prize

if not will use the road bike....

any one with a cyclocross bike to lend/rent out??? =)

Hello... [hi-jack on]

Remember this being discussed on the hub before - but last time I checked - I couldn't find the thread...

What has the fastest time been so far (more or less) - and from exactly where does the challenge/time measurement start?

Fanks! [hi-jack off]

Darren Lill did say that it was quite tough on 39x25 gearing!

Would definitely go for cyclocross tyres with a reasonable tread. The bit before the tar is quite loose at the moment.

Darren Lill did say that it was quite tough on 39x25 gearing!

Would definitely go for cyclocross tyres with a reasonable tread. The bit before the tar is quite loose at the moment.

You mean the bit from the car park to the saddle? LOL

Darren Lill did it in about 39 minutes if I recall correctly, that is pretty quick.

Apparently he cracked the Schwinn frame on the way down, but that could have been the singletrack.

It can be done, but I wouldnt do it will less than a 38 x 27. I would recomend a practice run if you are serious.

didnt know you had to pre enter..but next year will find all this before =) and do a few practice runs =)

thanks all

Dude, I did the route again today...the last kilometer before the tar will be hell on a road bike. I got tyres with a lighter tread and pumped them to over 5 bars and that last km was hell...road bike will be a nightmare...loose gravel stones and rocks!

a 39-25 would be hellish even on the tar, the part just above the saddle Is steep! the rest is er, still steep enough to get a solid working on..

Giro hillclimb(camps to signalhill is a walk in the park compared to this.

Can ons still pre enter? anyone got a link? who's doing it?

I think there are times that climb will be faster on a MTB, besides, If you gave Daren lil a MTB who said his time wouldnt be faster. he was just the strongest rider that day.

Best compromise is to use a MTB with semi-slicks. Perhaps something like Vredestein Killer Bees or the new Spez Renegade