Anyone know about cyclist hit by m/bike at Wilro?

cyclewife

Apparently a cyclist was hit by a motor cyclist at the Wilro race today.

According to my son, he doesn't think the cyclist made it and the motor cyclists in hospital.

A vet cyclist??

He was cycling on the wrong side of the road on blind rise.

This is all here say at this stage. Details very sketchy. Perhaps a hubber here knows more details?

I was in the A bunch, it was at the top by Maropeng, the ambulance was there already. The cyclist was still on the ground being attended to, the motorbiker was up and walking around with a big bandage on his head.

When i went past, they were loading the cyclist in an ambulance. He was on a stretcher with a neck brace.

I did not see the motor cycle, until a fellow cyclist told me it was in the bushes.

It seemed at that time, that the cyclist was alive. (hopefully still the case)

On another note, a cyclist in the (b) bunch went down. We had just started, probably 5km from the start. The bunch backed up for what ever reason, and he tried to avoid the backed up bunch by going to the right, nicked the back wheel of a rider in front, and was thrown off the bike, across the white line. It was the closest shave I have ever seen, since an ambulance on the way (probably to the cyclist who was hit by the motor cycle) was passing the bunch at speed. It could not have been more than an arms length that the ambulance missed that cyclist. The car behind the ambulance was just as close. When the (B)  bunch cyclist hit the road, he rolled back across the white line as quick as he could.

Thank god the (b) bunch cyclist was not hit!

Guest Big H

Sounds like this was in the Cradle.....

I hope initiatives will also now be launched to educate motor cyclists in the Cradle.

I sometimes can understand why motorists see cyslists as a nuisance due to their low speed, but the bikes I saw at speed through the Cradle area at times are downright dangerous and foolish!!!!!!!

Mudda....geez - that was definitely a close call. Way too close for comfort.

Let's hope and pray this accident was not a fatal one. :-(

Yep, saw that B bunch crash. Happened right in front of me. Quick reactions by the dude to get out the way of the ambulance and cars, he seemed OK though, probably a nasty road rash. Slower reactions and the consequences could have been a lot worse. Kudos to the ambulance driver for taking to the gravel too...

What is the deal with no road closure? Is it so hard to organize? Is it financial reasons that the organizers don't do it?

The cyclist/motor cyclist accident happened in the Elite/u23 bunch. The cyclist is at home with a neck brace as a precautionary for whiplash.

The cyclist/motor cyclist accident happened in the Elite/u23 bunch. The cyclist is at home with a neck brace as a precautionary for whiplash.

Thanks GWilson...as long as they're still alive and kicking. Broken bones can heal...can't get a life back.

this was due to the whole bunch of riders, maybe about 20 cyclists, all being on the wrong side of the white line. Actually, not just slightly over the white line, but on the opposite side of the road, in that yellow line! When are cyclists going to understand that the white line, or center of the road is at the limit of safety? It is mentioned at MANY races about the white line, but nothing seems to get done. Okay, there is a whole new debate!!

in response to Steve074.... For organizers of races to even try and get road closure is a mission! Ask the organizers of Berge en Dale, although they finally got permission for semi road closure after 14 years!! Metro are not keen at all, as this requires huge manpower from metro, although I am not sure of costs.

Yep' date=' saw that B bunch crash. Happened right in front of me. Quick reactions by the dude to get out the way of the ambulance and cars, he seemed OK though, probably a nasty road rash. Slower reactions and the consequences could have been a lot worse. Kudos to the ambulance driver for taking to the gravel too...
What is the deal with no road closure? Is it so hard to organize? Is it financial reasons that the organizers don't do it?
[/quote']

Road closure is difficult as people still need to get to wherever they going. The Roads out at Cradle/Hekpoort where Wilro was is in an area where it is simply too far to detour people. Same with roads out South of JHB in the early season races. It is not like 94.7 where the detour roads are relatively close by.

The motorbike incident happened right in front of me. I was very lucky to not get hit as well. We were the last two people in the bunch and it was squeezed onto the wrong side of the road, and we were riding right on the pavement. So all things considered we were definitely wrong and just generally being idiots...but thats really what this silly business of elite racing is all about(idiots!!). We didnt even see the motorbikes coming. The first one came passed us off the road, riding in the long grass. But the second one was still on the road and we didnt really have any time to move out of the way, and as such a head on collision occurred. Glad to hear no one was too seriously hurt, hope to see you on the bike again soon.

so what is the latest news on the condition of the cyclist AND the biker??? HUGE kudo's to the other biker who put himself and his bike at huge risk by riding through the grass.

is a cycle race really worth the risk of killing yourself or someone else? really? honestly and truly?

that is why i don't even participate in races anymore.

so what is the latest news on the condition of the cyclist AND the biker??? HUGE kudo's to the other biker who put himself and his bike at huge risk by riding through the grass.

is a cycle race really worth the risk of killing yourself or someone else? really? honestly and truly?

that is why i don't even participate in races anymore.

SP you hit the nail on the head.  I raced 2 races where guys felt the right hand shoulder was the place to ride.  Insanity!  and then they shrug and say "that is racing, if you are not tough go home". 

No way! it is irresponsible, stupid, and inconsiderate. 

For me I would rather plow up Groenkloof with my face than race on the road.  (at least I will be responsible for my own broken bones.)