Suikerbosrand - URGENT

Li Mu Bai

good idea, probably going to have to get that equip sponsered, because as Johan pointed out, I dont think their budget is very big...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to SBR for the first time only two weeks ago. I loved it and at the time thought it was safe riding there. ..

I really hope we can find a solution for this problem.

Now this is the kind of proactive action that attains positive outcome results. Good luck to ya all up the in suikerbosrand.

Hi - spent a very wet few hours at SBR this morning. We saw only one vehicle - a park vehicle - predictably going the wrong way! HOWEVER - they were going slowly, had their lights and indicators on and were very friendly, greeted us. [Probably thought we were mad and needed humouring... they may have been right]

My 2 cents worth - more signage, BIG CLEAR signs, will add value. "Caution - cyclists", "No entry" and those ones you occasionally see on freeways "Go back - you're going the wrong way" sort of stuff. So will pamphlets at the entrance. Getting Shaun involved is a great idea. Why not try - in the most positive way possible - to turn this into the safest, most "aware" cycling sanctuary in Gauteng? What a great flagship it could be. I'll donate to this.

SD

Hi guys

I am damian's brother. I was with him when he got smashed into. Thanks to all for giving this issue a loud voice. Only we as cyclists can Bring about change. I believe that the driver who hit my brother is back on the roads- scary. That's the problem with our law, the culprits are not brought into account for their actions.

The reserve also needs to have a proper emergency first aid kit(or a few located along the route) plus staff should have basic CPR knowledge. The place markets itself as a venue for cyclists and runners but does nothing in terms of accident management.

If anyone had any incidents at SBR with other cars please let me know- the authorities must be brought to book.

Ride strong!

Guest Big H
Hi guys

I am damian's brother. I was with him when he got smashed into. Thanks to all for giving this issue a loud voice. Only we as cyclists can Bring about change. I believe that the driver who hit my brother is back on the roads- scary. That's the problem with our law' date=' the culprits are not brought into account for their actions.

The reserve also needs to have a proper emergency first aid kit(or a few located along the route) plus staff should have basic CPR knowledge. The place markets itself as a venue for cyclists and runners but does nothing in terms of accident management.

If anyone had any incidents at SBR with other cars please let me know- the authorities must be brought to book.

Ride strong! [/quote']

What we need to remember at all time..... we are guests in the reserve. Any serious action in "retaliation" may lead to cyclists being banned ftom there. The mamagement and staff do not need to do anything...... we are the ones that will need to do whatever is neccesary to maintain our continued presence.

Rude, I am all in favour of this matter.  These days it is kind of difficult to go out cycling on the roads and one always try to be careful as far as possible.  That's why Suikerbosrand is so much nicer, since it is supposed to be a safe environment and I love cycling there.  I could not take the time to read through all the postings as I see it goes on for more than 4 pages, so I do not know if someone already made the suggestion but I think the ideas that were presented are very good.  What about one-way spikes on the road that are installed every 10km's but with one thin part (half a meter or so, only one, otherwise cars can drive through) for bicycles to pass through.  The spikes must be heavy enough that a passenger in a car cannot get out and step on them to push them down in order for a car to drive in the wrong direction, but light enough that a car can driver over them without perishing its wheels whilst going in the RIGHT direction, therefore it moust point in the RIGHT direction as well.  I think there still has to be put some thought into the matter on how to make it viable, but I deffinitely think that this might be an answer.