Suikerbosrand - URGENT

Li Mu Bai

Maybe we could also donate to Shaunh and get him to put a few signs up at strategic points making motorists and everyone aware of cyclists/direction of traffic in the reserve.

I'd be keen to donate.

I agree with this. The signage at some of the entry and exit points of the various loops is not always that clear. Some better markings painted on the road would also help.

I'd donate what I can to such and initiative.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we could also donate to Shaunh and get him to put a few signs up at strategic points making motorists and everyone aware of cyclists/direction of traffic in the reserve.

I'd be keen to donate.

Great idea. Count me in as a donor too.

If its researve management transgressing their own rules they may not be bothered to do anything - I will sent the original post to someone at thier headoffice I know.

Guest Big H

Why do we not make some contributions to Sign Up (Shaun H) and do the following.....

...... in the light of what happened at Suikerbosrand I would like to make the following suggestion. Why do we not procure road signs of 300mm in diameter???? ..... just like the larger ones and erect a few one way arrows and no entry signs on critical enry points points along the Suikerbosrand route. Engage manangement and ask their permission.
Big H2010-04-30 05:10:34

Signage will work for cyclists and visitors new to the reserve, it will do nothing for cyclists,officials and motorists who choose to ignore them.

has anyone gotten hold of muxman and his crowd - as they were involved when the wanted to close SBR

This whole bicycle vs car cenario sucks for us!!!! Because we will always loose. There are even more accidents than we hear of!

At the end of november 2009 I was hit head on by a car coming out of jonkershoek in the cape. The oke turn across the road without stopping or indicating. I hit him head on, going through the windscreen and of the other side. I ended up with a seriously lasarated right arm (79 stiches) a cut of forearm muscle that had to be reattached and a cracked left wrist.

The okes reply was he did not see me till I landed on his windscreenAngry

Six months later I am 100% (accept for the big scar on my arm) and cycling again, but incident like the above just makes me pissed again!!

What makes me mad is that like the suikerbosrand place (where ive never been), jonkershoek is also one of the most used roads for cyclists. If you are on these roads with a car, you must know that you WILL come across cyclist, so they must watch what they are doing. The guy that hit me probably went on with his life as soon as his insurance paid his windscreen and my bike, as for me...well that took a little longer. That is the point, they dont care because they do not get killed when in a in accident with a cyclist.

I like the initiative although I am not from JHB. But think it is necesary everywhere!!

As for reporting cars for doing wrong I feel cyclist should be treated the same way.

Good luck with the innitiative, lead the way

I really do hope that the person in the accident recovers well. Strongs 

Guest Big H

Signage will work for cyclists and visitors new to the reserve' date=' it will do nothing for cyclists,officials and motorists who choose to ignore them.

[/quote']

Without proper signage there can be no proper legal discourse. Law does not operate on "should have", "maybe" or "if's"

I think that you will have success by sensitising visitors re: following the one-way system.

I dont think you will succeed with the park staff because its not practical or reasonable for them to go all round the loop every time they go out to work somewhere in the reserve esp if they are ferrying workers and material to a site.

You may get somewhere on the last downhill as this is a cheeky short-cut.

Otherwise if the park is successfully sued over an accident they may change behaviour; but even then, it would be easier for them to change their signs to allow their vehicles to go both ways.

My advice - expect to see park vehicles coming at us as we go round.

Big H:

Ignorantia Juris non excusat = Ignorance of the law is no excuse. There are some no entry signs and other signage, although not adequate, indicating that it is a one way system.

Guest Big H
Big H:

Ignorantia Juris non excusat = Ignorance of the law is no excuse. There are some no entry signs and other signage' date=' although not adequate, indicating that it is a one way system.
[/quote']

Ok I tried..... if you do not want signs there sponsored by myself and other they will go up elsewhere. I have never cycled there.

Cycle there then at your own peril.

BigH better signage is needed i will also contribute as it is lacking in places, 1st time riding  Suikerbos i missed the signs and also went wrong way. IMO whats needed is a reporting system where one can report both cyclist and drivers that disobey the signage.

Dear Big H,

there are currently signs provided, additional signs will obviously help, as will pamflets at the gates, and at the Conservation Desk.

Ride there when you get a chance, its worth it, and you will see that any sponsoring you do was worth every cent.

If someone's in contact with the reserve management, they might suggest that they equip they vehicles with flashing lights and whip flags like this:

http://www.safetyaerials.com.au/uploads/1/8/2/9/1829571/4591500_orig.jpg

It would help to make their vehicles visible from further away and also when most of the vehicle is hidden behind tall grass.