PPA What can they Do?

Guest Frail4Life

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the AGM not Tonight

Yip - as far as I know the AGM is tonight at Canal Walk (MTN Science Centre, 19.00 for 19.30 if I'm not mistaken).

I believe this is the best place to voice your concerns about PPA - and to get them heard!

Are you going to be there Frail?

Guest Frail4Life

Yip - as far as I know the AGM is tonight at Canal Walk (MTN Science Centre, 19.00 for 19.30 if I'm not mistaken).

I believe this is the best place to voice your concerns about PPA - and to get them heard!

No. I got to Work.

I was wanting to go.

Apologies - it's at 18:00 tonight at Canal Walk.

Here's the link: http://www.pedalpower.org.za/AboutPPA/AnnualGeneralMeeting/tabid/73/Default.aspx

In all honesty - without wanting to sound like a troll, it's pointless ranting an raving here, and when the opportunity exists where our voice can be heard and make a difference - we don't grasp it... makes the last 9 pages a bit of a waste actually :huh:

I personally believe for the R255 a year we pay to belong to PPA they do one h3ll of a job with the resources they have available.

Guest Frail4Life

Apologies - it's at 18:00 tonight at Canal Walk.

Here's the link: http://www.pedalpower.org.za/AboutPPA/AnnualGeneralMeeting/tabid/73/Default.aspx

In all honesty - without wanting to sound like a troll, it's pointless ranting an raving here, and when the opportunity exists where our voice can be heard and make a difference - we don't grasp it... makes the last 9 pages a bit of a waste actually :huh:

I personally believe for the R255 a year we pay to belong to PPA they do one h3ll of a job with the resources they have available.

Have a look what there Goal is ? Mission of PPA?

They are more for Social activity.

Have a look what there Goal is ? Mission of PPA?

They are more for Social activity.

It's cycling a social sport - some of us just take it more seriously than others?

In my opinion, having also raced league as part of the old CSA(juniors / track / road / elite), PPA has done more for the sport than anyone else in SA. As a sport I love, the more people getting involved and sharing in this sport, the better. The PPA just provides an awesome (and safe) environment for us to enjoy it... Now it's a given, they are far from perfect, and just do the best they can with what they have available.

I would like to add my two cents worth if I may, on behalf of the racers out there.

First of all I think there are many more than 20 of you out there who are reading this and agreeing whole heartedly, but not having the guts to join the conversation. I had to say something as I am not the type to just let things that concern me just run by me.

I am an elite level mountain biker, and I think it is shocking what little recognition and respect we get at the mountain bike races that PPA organise. Not that it is about the money, but there are virtually no prizes awarded to us who travel all the way out to a race to support the event. The usual response that I get from a PPA official when I ask if I should stay around for prize giving is "mountain bikers only ride for the fun of it".

While that is true to a certain degree I think that they are really under addressing a need in the Cape to promote racing and competition, and to give us something to compete for. I thought is was really swak that the winner of the Hex River Valley race earlier this year only got a bottle of wine as a prize, while 2nd and 3rd got bugger all. I have done club races overseas where up to 20th place was paid out!

I think it is a disgrace

I think it is a disgrace

If you want prize money, go to a race not a funride. Simple.

PPA does, and has done, an incredible amount for cycling, and the vast majority of its members get great value from their fees. Their expectations are more aligned, possibly, with the associations goals.

Elites - road and mountain - are a pain in the $%^& for the PPA, they form a small portion of the membership but make, by far, the most noise. The road leagues threaten the very existance of the funride system on a regular basis with their bad behaviour.

PPA does NOT owe you racing, just be thankful there are events that you can ride. If you want to earn money from racing, unfortunately the PPA is not the bunch to look to. The fact that nobody else is putting on races is not their fault!

Thats a fair point. There just seems to be a bit a bit of a lack of races like that in the Western Cape. Meurant does from time to time organise great events with good prize money which I am thankful for, and there are a few other events out there like the new event Oude Molen this past weekend, but they are still few and far between.

On the cycling safety side of things I would like to see more road signs out on the Cape Peninsula warning motorists of cyclists, particularly on fast and dangerous pieces of roads like Ou Kaapse weg, Glen Cairn express way, and Cape Point. It amazes me how conservationists have managed to get "beware of leopard toad" signs all over the peninsula, yet there are still no "beware of cyclists" signs. Who is more important, cyclists(human beings), or toads? PPA should be the voice to get these in place, shouldn't they?

Thats a fair point. There just seems to be a bit a bit of a lack of races like that in the Western Cape. Meurant does from time to time organise great events with good prize money which I am thankful for, and there are a few other events out there like the new event Oude Molen this past weekend, but they are still few and far between.

On the cycling safety side of things I would like to see more road signs out on the Cape Peninsula warning motorists of cyclists, particularly on fast and dangerous pieces of roads like Ou Kaapse weg, Glen Cairn express way, and Cape Point. It amazes me how conservationists have managed to get "beware of leopard toad" signs all over the peninsula, yet there are still no "beware of cyclists" signs. Who is more important, cyclists(human beings), or toads? PPA should be the voice to get these in place, shouldn't they?

The racing thing is tricky - Meurant is a a great organiser, if only a substantial sponsor could be found so he could do a proper series of elite/age-group races through the year. It would raise the standard, and hopefully give you talented guys some income.

Agreed on the signage stuff, there could be a better effort there.