Sonic Link: How does it work??!!??

Squier

I got my new Polar CS300 and it's pretty cool, except for this Sonic Link thing!

I am struggling to connect, the software only says that there's no answer from the CS300. It doesn't even begin to transfer.

Do I need a Polar microphone??? I assumed that any mic would work.

If there's anyone that got this to work, please help!

Thanks!!

I have a CS200 and trying to use the mic built into my Webcam has never worked.

I have managed to get it to work using the mic on my skype headset. However I have found the distance at which I hold the polar away from the mic is critical. I also find it works much more reliably on my desktop than on my laptop using the same mic, so it seems that it is not only the mic itself that affects performance, but also the computer you are using.

When you start the transfer, do you get any indication on the signal strength bar on screen that the mic is picking up anything? Does the microphone work properly with a program like skype?

Guest coenie

It does not work, have tried various mic's with some success but no patren....sometimes it works sometimes it does not...more often than not it does not work......

Guest coenie

I've found that using the "Low volume" setting never works.

Isn't that logical?Smile

I have a CS200 and trying to use the mic built into my Webcam has never worked.

I have managed to get it to work using the mic on my skype headset. However I have found the distance at which I hold the polar away from the mic is critical. I also find it works much more reliably on my desktop than on my laptop using the same mic' date=' so it seems that it is not only the mic itself that affects performance, but also the computer you are using.

When you start the transfer, do you get any indication on the signal strength bar on screen that the mic is picking up anything? Does the microphone work properly with a program like skype?[/quote']

I don't even get anything! Nothing happens on the signal bar. I'm also working on my laptop...

Maybe I should try another mic.

Seems like no one can really get this to work consistently?

I tried it at the office, but there's something in the mainframe set-up thingummybob that blocks the sonic link - don't ask me how or what, but that's what our IT person said.

So I tried it using my cellphone as the 3G connection. Again nothing.

Now I use my Polar as a watch, nothing else, and consider it a huge and unjustified waste of money. But that's just me, and sorry to be so negative, but I have no idea why they're still using fax machine technology. 

Make sure that your fierwall (if enable) does not block the connection.  I had that problem.  Another tip if you use Windows: use the sound recorder to check your microphone.  If the recorder does not pickup the sound, the your mic is the problem.  I would suggest using another mic, or opening your audio properties and playing around with the settings.  Tips 3: distance between mic and watch should not be too big, but play around with it when using the sound recorder.

It's temperamental, sometimes I get in 1st time other times nothing.

Bashing the unit, headset, mic, computer, brings temporary relief but not a cheap long-term plan.

I guess we should be talking to Polar now if we've all got the same problems.

Yes, I have a CS200 and I have never managed to get any of my ride data on to my computer. The soniclink technology is a joke - the noise reminds me of my ZX spectrum trying to load up Manic Miner from a casette tape. Add to this the fact that Polar have never and do not plan to offer any support whatsoever for Macs despite the fact that the OSX market share is growing at pace. Clowns.

lukehardiman2010-05-17 08:04:56

It doesn't make sense that a reputable company like Polar would release something that doesn't work. But it also doesn't make sense that no one here can get this "technology" to work.

So, either we're all idiots or Polar screwed up.

Will struggle again with it tonight... hope for the best...

Guest coenie

Squier

you can get it to work with LOTS of time and efford....one thing that I found was that if you put the watch and mich in something "sound proof " ish...but now a box where sound can jump around...it seems to work a bit better....but good luck....

The technology is sh*t, it's obvious. This is the only logical conclusion in light of the solutions offered here - 'sound proof box', 'lots of time and effort', 'contact the rep' - none of these were mentioned on my packaging as requirements for basic usage.

Unbelievable as it seems, it does happen. Look at Windows Vista.