Thread Killed-Joe Slo

Mr. G

Pity that last thread was ended because of Joe and his 3 friends, but just to end off we had no problem with an apposing view point, rather we had a problem with Joe not just voicing his view but rather having to " run to teacher to tell on us" So because he never liked something it must not be there( god' s of the hub), very progressive interlectual thinking you 3 stooges!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What thread was removed?

Mojoman, the one about the hijacker that was shot.

SloJo was not as he and his friends would put it, "trying to give his point of view" rather because they disagreed with the majority he complained about the thread and had it stopped!

Sorry his name is Joe Low, I picked up the nick-name from someone who ripped him off- Sorry Joe

A short course in spelling would be in order, Mr.G

I liked the post,I'm not ashamed to admit, but the attacks on Joe Low were unbecoming. A more tolerant approach would help

So to what end is this thread?

The thread has not been removed, it's been locked. I can still read it on my screen.

"They" as you put it never complained. Joe did, and had the balls to say as much and gave his reasoning. The only "gods" were those who responded like a rabid mob.

Interestingly, no one seems to be banging on admin/mods for locking the thread.

After reading some of those comments admin did the right thing. Not because of the topic itself, but because a fair number of people displayed in their comments the same mindset as the hijackers that were killed.

Those alone were far from progessive or intellectual.

I see the pictures are also no longer on the locked thread. Where can we view them now?

Guys the thread was not removed, it has been closed as it developed into a personal mud slinging match.

Although some had objections to the original subject of the thread and pictures posted it was not closed for this reason.

The thread is still available here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=85580

The report functionality serves a good purpose , but is surprisingly underused. Given the volumes of content on The Hub we cannot monitor each and every post that goes up and hence rely on Reports from Hubbers when they think something is inappropriate for whatever reason.

Please do not see this as a "I'm gonna tell!" feature. We rely on Hubbers to report threads they think are not on. It works very well with scammers and spammers, but with topical threads it's more difficult to draw a clean line as to whats acceptable and what's not.

Ironically the intended purpose of the Report button is to stop threads like this from developing into a personal mud slinging match. Perhaps we should rethink how this is used and how we moderate to try and avoid this sort of situation in future?

Pity that last thread was ended because of Joe and his 3 friends' date=' but just to end off we had no problem with an apposing view point, rather we had a problem with Joe not just voicing his view but rather having to " run to teacher to tell on us" So because he never liked something it must not be there( god' s of the hub), very progressive interlectual thinking you 3 stooges![/quote']

SloJo was not as he and his friends would put it' date=' "trying to give his point of view" rather because they disagreed with the majority he complained about the thread and had it stopped!
[/quote']

Stop now before you embarrass yourself further.

At the risk of offending "interlectual thinking" people like yourself, I need to point out the following:

Joe Low voiced his opinion and intention to report the thread on the first page of it. Long before your "majority" could've been established. Pretty small-minded to assume most people agree with your viewpoint, no? The majority of active members aren't active at all. Most sit and watch but don't comment. Poll it if you want, but in the real world, a low poll turnout indicates apathy. Basically that means the "majority" don't give a hoot about either side's standpoint.

He pointed out that he didn't want to see this kind of stuff on a cycling forum. You posted this under Rant 'n Rave. What's that forum for? "Post your news, views, opinions or ideas about anything cycling."

Admin or the mods locked the thread. Why? He's explained it himself. Read the replies then familiarise yourself again with the rules of The Hub.

I was going to speak highly of my friend, Joe Low, but he knows the esteem in which I hold him. Others have already spoken of the respect they have for him. Enough said.

Have I had a gun held to my head? More than once. Have I ever had to protect my children in a dangerous situation? Yes. Pictures and tales of death and destruction? That's my stock-in-trade. I see more of this every day that most of you. Do I want to see it here? Thanks, but no.

Pity that last thread was ended because of Joe and his 3 friends' date=' but just to end off we had no problem with an apposing view point, rather we had a problem with Joe not just voicing his view but rather having to " run to teacher to tell on us" So because he never liked something it must not be there( god' s of the hub), very progressive interlectual thinking you 3 stooges![/quote']

I guess Mr. G will also miss out on the 3 stooges hugs and kisses fest at Transbaviaans Wink

Thanks folks I really appreciate the support I've had here, by pm, sms & in person since Friday. 

Cheers Holy, that was very nice what you said.  I would've thought by now the robbers were coming to your place and leaving things for you? Didnt they take the floor tiles last time?

No worries, Joe. I try to see the positive in most everything. I have beautiful Oregon floors now.

And on the topic of crime: my eldest son just delivered his Chatterbox - a kind of pre-pubescent version of Toastmasters - speech. It was a fictionalised account of a young boy - himself - being affected by crime. at first, I was alarmed. At the end of his tale, he and and his mates were offered access to an arsenal of arms to fight his attackers. He could've taken them and blown to smithereens the baddies. He chose not to. I liked that.

I never had a problem with the pictures. The topics clearly said "hijackers killed'' so the people that felt offended could easily have avoided it. I also dont have a problem with Jo reporting it, if he felt that needed to do so, then let it be. I have a problem with the majority of you acting like children, calling names, pointing fingers. Its pathetic.

Yeah, Muds, as I pointed out, the forum has rules. Funny how people get all high and mighty about laws being broken when they can't observe a few simple rules about decency. Anyhows...have a good Sunday, my friend. Off to break a few laws myself.

SloJo was not as he and his friends would put it' date=' "trying to give his point of view" rather because they disagreed with the majority he complained about the thread and had it stopped!
[/quote']

Stop now before you embarrass yourself further.

At the risk of offending "interlectual thinking" people like yourself, I need to point out the following:

Joe Low voiced his opinion and intention to report the thread on the first page of it. Long before your "majority" could've been established. Pretty small-minded to assume most people agree with your viewpoint, no? The majority of active members aren't active at all. Most sit and watch but don't comment. Poll it if you want, but in the real world, a low poll turnout indicates apathy. Basically that means the "majority" don't give a hoot about either side's standpoint.

He pointed out that he didn't want to see this kind of stuff on a cycling forum. You posted this under Rant 'n Rave. What's that forum for? "Post your news, views, opinions or ideas about anything cycling."

Admin or the mods locked the thread. Why? He's explained it himself. Read the replies then familiarise yourself again with the rules of The Hub.

I was going to speak highly of my friend, Joe Low, but he knows the esteem in which I hold him. Others have already spoken of the respect they have for him. Enough said.

Have I had a gun held to my head? More than once. Have I ever had to protect my children in a dangerous situation? Yes. Pictures and tales of death and destruction? That's my stock-in-trade. I see more of this every day that most of you. Do I want to see it here? Thanks, but no.

Hi Holy,

I agree with you 100%. At the risk of sounding lazy, I read all the comments and rantings in question yesterday, became furious at the lack of reasoning displayed (by many) and then planned a sound response which I was going to post this morning.

But alas, I logged on and realised that I'd just look like I was repeating myself, seeing as you've said exactly what I wanted to...

Joe, you were in no way out of line with your actions and responses.

Holy, thanks for freeing up some extra beer-drinking time for me Wink