Attacked before Stellenbosch & gun pointed at me..

MCDreyer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're OK Vaste... man I cannot believe the audacity of these okes. Justice means nothing now days.

I know someone who can fix your frame. He did mine after Simonsvlei and it's 100%

Get well soon.

Thanks Tarmac. Was at CWC on Saturday and seems the frame can be replaced under warrenty. For the rest (including my gear)' date=' we'll see what the insurance says.

[/quote']

Frame replaced under warrenty, after a crash???

Glad you're OK Vaste... man I cannot believe the audacity of these okes. Justice means nothing now days.

I know someone who can fix your frame. He did mine after Simonsvlei and it's 100%

Get well soon.

Thanks Tarmac. Was at CWC on Saturday and seems the frame can be replaced under warrenty. For the rest (including my gear)' date=' we'll see what the insurance says.

[/quote']

Frame replaced under warrenty, after a crash???
Perhaps they won't view this as a crash but rather as something damaged due to the attack...and of course he may have insured it for crash damage. I have insured mine in the event I may eventually fall one day. Big%20smile

It is actually stupid of the bikejacker to throw the stick in your wheels.Broken spokes and then he will have to carry the bike anyway from the crimescene.

They not after your bike it's a bonus,they want your watch and cellphone.They are very easy to get rid of at a taxi rank for R50

Let's hope the insurer pays!!! A word of advice, only tell them the minimum, they will find any reason not to pay- and that's from personal experience.

I have a claim pending against Zurich since 1 Feb 2010 and had to refer it to the Ombudsman to try and force them to pay.

As for Papagaaiberg its a definite NO NO. a Police buddy of mine says there is no/little patrols on that mountain/Hill.

I've heard about this...

Such a pity that we're gradually losing ground to these @#$ers' date=' when I was a student from 1997 to 2002, we used to ride around Papagaaiberg and pretty much everywhere else without fear. I rode on my own most of the time and wouldn't even have thought about anything bad happening, it was just unheard of.
[/quote']

I still cycle on Papegaaiberg at regular intervals; but I agree it's not the safest place around.  Normally do the cycling around 5 pm; lots of traffic on the hill at that time with people walking home from work and locals walking dogs (big ones).  Avoid it like the plague on weekends.  A couple of us were looking at doing a regular late afternoon ride on the Papegaaiberg (several  MTBers living right next to it) and also to resurrect the ST and build some new stuff on southern/southwestern side of the hill. 
HomerSimpson2010-06-09 08:37:07

I was planning on doing that route from Brackenfell to Jonkershoek this weekend. Wonder if i should rather go up further to polka draai or kromme rhee and ten hit stellenbosch through tennantville.

Have at least 2 riders with you and stay alert at all times. Avoid pedestrians as it seems that these thugs frequent routes where pedestrian traffic is common. Kromme Rhee is a better option as you can get onto Helshoogte Rd and avoid the Saturday morning traffic through the Town. This route also carries less pedestrian traffic.

Conversely you could hang a right at the Devonvale Golf Club (if you come along Bottelary Rd) and go up over Devon Hill, down through Devon Valley and then through Stellenbosch. 

I was planning on doing that route from Brackenfell to Jonkershoek this weekend. Wonder if i should rather go up further to polka draai or kromme rhee and ten hit stellenbosch through tennantville.

Have at least 2 riders with you and stay alert at all times. Avoid pedestrians as it seems that these thugs frequent routes where pedestrian traffic is common. Kromme Rhee is a better option as you can get onto Helshoogte Rd and avoid the Saturday morning traffic through the Town. This route also carries less pedestrian traffic.

Conversely you could hang a right at the Devonvale Golf Club (if you come along Bottelary Rd) and go up over Devon Hill' date=' down through Devon Valley and then through Stellenbosch.  [/quote']

Homer, I know this route exists, but where do you come out when you go over the top above Devonvale?

I always thought that was a private farm road.

Is it tarred and easily accessible?

Conversely you could hang a right at the Devonvale Golf Club (if you come along Bottelary Rd) and go up over Devon Hill' date=' down through Devon Valley and then through Stellenbosch.  [/quote']

Homer, I know this route exists, but where do you come out when you go over the top above Devonvale?

I always thought that was a private farm road.

Is it tarred and easily accessible?

It is a public access road, but there are signs trying to discourage road users from going up there.  Once you get over the top, the road descends to the right for about 1 k then you get to a steep little turnoff to the left. The road then turns to gravel for about 500m before you get to a gate across the road (but the surface is good enough for a road bike).  To the left of the gate there is a path that leads through the fence, and then you are back on the tar.  I have been using this road ever since I started cycling.

Man!  WTF is going on?  Cars and trucks and taxis.  Now pedestrians? Hope you heal soon and your bike too.

Just got my bike back after Saturday's incident.

Put the claim in on Tuesday for bike and clothing, and money paid into my account on Thursday (2 days later).

Just picked up my bike from CWC today (Friday) - excellent job done.

Indwe has by far got the best premiums on bicycle insurance. OK... our companies' clients does get a group discount at Indwe which reduces premiums drastically so the name MP Tax must be mentioned but still, also the best service ever. Thumbs%20Up Contact Bronia at 021 - 464 8600.

Thanks guys!!

Now waiting on these freakin roasties to heal so I can get back on the bike Tongue

@Vaste 6

Sorry to hear about the experience, hope you recover quickly.

Question: in hindsight - do you think there is something you would have done differently in the situation, like keeping a safe distance between you and the tsotsies?

Reason for asking: cycling safety is becoming an personal issue, and we cyclists need to come up with clever solutions, so every bit of info helps to get to those solutions.