Cracked Frame Or Over Exageration

BrendonMyb

The photo makes it look worse than it actually is but im scared that this might be a crack. Im not sure if its just the paint splitting but logic is telling me that paint doesnt just split in a hairline crack & would only do this due to metal fatigue.

Or on the other hand i might just be chasing ghosts here & its nothing to worry about. This is my pride & joy & i most definately dont want anything else.

So do you think its something to worry about or not really ?

20100608_002846_DSC00960.jpg
BumpNgrind2010-06-08 01:24:03

Sorry mate, but it looks like it could be a crack. Its in the perfect place for a crack as well. I recently cracked my frame in the exact same place. At 1st I thought it might just be paint so I scratched a bit of paint off with a knife and there was a faint line visible in the aluminium. After another few rides I could feel the crack with my finger. So sadly I had to strip the bike down to transfer the parts and when I had the frame separate I could see that it was more than a crack - the chainstay is broken half way through...

nooooooooo.......

what else could go wrong, the news just gets better & better today. 1st of all ive been waiting just nearly under 3 weeks for my CRC order whereas someone else ordered a week ago & just fetched it

then my frame is cracked & im trying to con myself into thinking it s not cause i really love my commie frame & dont want anything else

what the *&$%@! next

I don't know how it can crack at the bridge and not at the BB. Surely there is more force applied at the BB.

I don't know how it can crack at the bridge and not at the BB. Surely there is more force applied at the BB.

From the research I did when it happened to mine, I learnt that it happens here due to the stress that the welding process puts on the aluminium in this area.

if you want to be 100% sure, take the paint off in that area. having paint removed is way less of an issue and a couple of orders of magnitude easier to repaint than sitting with a crack and having to fix it..

but search the interwebs. If it's a generic issue with that model frame, then someones else would have also experienced it.

yeah i had my neighbour come over last night just to double check that im not overreacting as he has had a couple of cracked frames in his time & comes to the same conclusion. Very bad weld bead & i must take it in

so wish me luck guys, hopefully commencal will honour my warranty claim.

im so disapointed though as this frame for me is my alpha & omega. It fits me like no other, I love the pearl white color & it looks pretty neat too

anyhow...... I guess things like these happen

Common place for these frames to crack

I second that, alu frames usually don't last longer than three years with me.

Common place for these frames to crack

I second that' date=' alu frames usually don't last longer than three years with me.

[/quote']

And how about carbon frames then ?