Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if I will have to pay VAT and duties if I buy a bike for use while in Europe on a business trip and I just bring it with me when I come back rather than selling it?

Anyone know if I will have to pay VAT and duties if I buy a bike for use while in Europe on a business trip and I just bring it with me when I come back rather than selling it?

You are still going to Pay 14% vat+ 10% atv.

• 1 month later...

Using the Duty calculator,

If I where to import 

Canyon ULTIMATE SL 9.0

which is 2199 - 19% tax = 1781 EUR

I get this, 

Total customs value (FOB): ZAR25129.01 This is the amount that customs values your import at - Duty: ZAR0.00 - VAT: ZAR3869.87 Total import duty & taxes due: ZAR3869.87 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs Total landed cost: ZAR31676.45 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes      
Calculation and compliance notes

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
  • Complete Bicycle is duty free and a has a VAT rate of 14% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [some probability]. Shipping prohibitions or restrictions may apply to bicycles and bicycle frames. Please, contact your courier.
Notes on import taxes due

I guess ± R33k depending on exchange rates. Is that an accurate assumption?

bikes pay 15% duty, will need a Eur,1 certificate or an specially endorse invoice form the supplier but you wont get it as the whole bike wont have been made in the EU.

@nixlord, will they ship to SA? i remember reading on their site abt 2months ago that they dont.

But if they now do GO FOR IT!!! thats one sexy @ss bike!! And its excellent value and the bragging rights are frEE

@nixlord, will they ship to SA? i remember reading on their site abt 2months ago that they dont.

But if they now do GO FOR IT!!! thats one sexy @ss bike!! And its excellent value and the bragging rights are frEE

Got the following reply,

thank you for your email and for your interest in Canyon Bicycles. It is possible to ship to South Africa and the delivery charges are as follows:

Bikes: 399€

Frames or Bike Cases: 269€

Accessories: 139€

Using the Duty calculator,

If I where to import 

Canyon ULTIMATE SL 9.0

which is 2199 - 19% tax = 1781 EUR

I get this, 

Total customs value (FOB): ZAR25129.01 This is the amount that customs values your import at - Duty: ZAR0.00 - VAT: ZAR3869.87 Total import duty & taxes due: ZAR3869.87 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs Total landed cost: ZAR31676.45 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes      
Calculation and compliance notes

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
  • Complete Bicycle is duty free and a has a VAT rate of 14% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [some probability]. Shipping prohibitions or restrictions may apply to bicycles and bicycle frames. Please, contact your courier.
Notes on import taxes due

I guess ± R33k depending on exchange rates. Is that an accurate assumption?

Customs/ Courier handling fee?

15% Duties on full bike?

Shipping?

Got the following reply,

thank you for your email and for your interest in Canyon Bicycles. It is possible to ship to South Africa and the delivery charges are as follows:

Bikes: 399€

Frames or Bike Cases: 269€

Accessories: 139€

So then the shipping is about R5400? OUCH!!!! But I'm sure itll stil be worth it!

15% Duties on full bike? Do they charge you duties on shipping or just vat?

Shipping?

15% Duties on full bike? Do they charge you duties on shipping or just vat?

Shipping?

Duties on the value of the item. Duties depend on what the item is.

Is there duties applicable on Saddles ?

My saddle came in with a groupset and a few other small parts.

Duty free, only VAT and R50 handling fee was payable through the SAPO.

My saddle came in with a groupset and a few other small parts.

Duty free, only VAT and R50 handling fee was payable through the SAPO.

Great thanks Gerald.

you may pay extra but one can ship to SA with Sky Box. They supply you with a delivery address in Europe or US and then handle the rest for you.

ttp://www.skybox.net/

Any duties applicable on supplements/nutrition ?

Ordering my saddle this week from CRC and thinking about throwing in some bars etc as their prices are almost 2/3 cheaper than local.