Got a question today from top Junior road rider - EPINEPHERIN?

MobileBikeTec

Hi Guys.

I was servicing a bike today of one of the top Junior road riders. We were chatting about racing a few years back when I was junior and we got on the topic of doping...

He asked me about something called EPINEPHERIN?! I dont know what it is, but I told him he must rather stay away from anything to keep his cycling career going.

I've heard alot of names before but never that. And if I google it, it doesnt look like something you can play with.

What is it, and what does it do?! And should I talk to his parents about questions he asked?

These Junior riders are pushing it really hard. How does one handle this?

Thanks.

Juan Smook

Mobile Bicycle Technix

If a person cant even pronounce or spell the name without consulting the label then [insert alarm bell ringing sound x 5] it's prbably a good idea to stay away from it...

I like Conrad "Caveman" Stolz’s approach to food (see his quote below), generally speaking IMO this philosophy could be applied to sport and lifestyle choices....

“If you can dig it out of the ground, pick it from a tree or if it runs around on feet or hooves, or swims in the ocean, it’s probably good for you. If it comes from a factory I usually won’t eat it”

I like Conrad "Caveman" Stolz’s approach to food (see his quote below), generally speaking IMO this philosophy could be applied to sport and lifestyle choices....

“If you can dig it out of the ground, pick it from a tree or if it runs around on feet or hooves, or swims in the ocean, it’s probably good for you. If it comes from a factory I usually won’t eat it”

So no processed food for him.

Wikipedia says:

Ephedrine (IPA: [əˈfɛdrɪn] or [ˈɛfədriːn]) is a sympathomimetic amine commonly used as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, concentration aid, decongestant, and to treat hypotension associated with anaesthesia.

Ephedrine is similar in structure to the (semi-synthetic) derivatives amphetamine and methamphetamine. Chemically, it is an alkaloid derived from various plants in the genus Ephedra (family Ephedraceae). It is most usually marketed in the hydrochloride and sulfate forms.

In traditional Chinese medicines, the herb má huáng (麻黄, Ephedra sinica) contains ephedrine and pseudoephedrine as its principal active constituents. The same is true of other herbal products containing extracts from Ephedra species.

Important words: stimulant, appetite suppressant (probably why so many pro riders look like skeletons), amphetamine amd methamphetamine (isn't that part of Crystal-Meth?).

Many of the "rapid weight loss" products have psuedoephadrine. It's the stuff that spaces you out, gives you the shakes, and makes you as high as a kite. This kid is heading for Rehab in a few years.

On the other hand, this is Wikepedia on Epinephrine:

Adrenaline junkie is a term used to describe somebody who appears to be addicted to epinephrine (endogenous) and such a person is sometimes described as getting a "high" from life. The term adrenaline junkie was popularly used in the 1991 movie Point Break to describe individuals who enjoyed dangerous activities (such as extreme sports e.g. BASE jumping) for the adrenaline "rush". Adrenaline junkies appear to favour stressful activities for the release of epinephrine as a stress response. Doing this may result in physical harm because of the potential danger. Whether or not the positive response is caused specifically by epinephrine is difficult to determine, as endorphins are also released during the fight-or-flight response to such activities.

They also say that the side effects will be seen in the 2007 movie "Crank" where the main character, Chev, overdoses on epinephrine. Might be an idea to get this kid to watch it?

Jip, part of the family of EPHEDRINE's that THINZ(now banned) and other diet-products & steroids contain. Variants include drugs like "E" or speed. Increases heart-rate & alertness. REALLY dangerous for cardio-athletes. YOU CAN GET A HEART ATTACK no matter your age.

Extremely addictive.

Stay away, stay away.

Take care of your body now and your body will take care of you after 50.

Epinephrine (adrenalin) and ephedrine are not the same thing. The junior must have been referring to ephedrine. Ephedrine have been used as a (banned) performance enhancer for many years. I doubt that anyone would be stupid enough to use adrenalin - more likely to kill you than enhance performance.

Epinephrine (adrenalin) and ephedrine are not the same thing. The junior must have been referring to ephedrine. Ephedrine have been used as a (banned) performance enhancer for many years. I doubt that anyone would be stupid enough to use adrenalin - more likely to kill you than enhance performance.

Thats the bad thing... its not the ephedrine, he knows what that is, and he sommer said to me straight he cant use ephedrine because it dehidrates to to fast...

Adrenalin...think that'll cause a bit more damage than dehidration!

Thats the bad thing... its not the ephedrine, he knows what that is, and he sommer said to me straight he cant use ephedrine because it dehidrates to to fast...

Adrenalin...think that'll cause a bit more damage than dehidration!

yip ephedrine def does dehydrate you very fast. I raced quads at a national level for a few years and we used to take it for the long nationals (before it was banned and we knew better)

A lot of downhill riders use the stuff.

Epinepherin is used by bodybuilds just before they show, before they do their final pump session, it pumps up the veins and gives a bigger pump. Not sure if you have ever seen that clip on youtube of the bodybuilder who has a heart attack on stage? (ill try find it) that is from Epinepherin.

not sure why he would want to use it for cycling though? would only be bennifitial for a sprint or break away on a climb and even then getting the timing of it would be hard. Your body uses more energy when it is in a state of increases adrenalin so for a long race it would cause him to blow.

Problem with juniors is that they take advice from someboby who heard something from somebody who "knows" something....dangerous