Tread Magazine reveals Silverback's New Moves..

Evolution

Can you be more specific about the build quality?

sure, i found the welds to be pretty chunky and rough, I guess more of a cosmetic thing than a build quality thing, but as I said in my other post, the models they had were not top models.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i fear a flaming for this question - but how does rough chunky welding affect how the bike handles or explains its apparent lack of ability to do anything ?

i fear a flaming for this question - but how does rough chunky welding affect how the bike handles or explains its apparent lack of ability to do anything ?

I agree it wont affect handling or ability, like i said earlier when compared to another bike of the same value its finish was not of the same quality.

if you like the brand buy it, i dont own one, I have ridden one and it would not be fair for me to comment on it cause I ride a bike at a much higher value and spec.

I've never looked at a Silverback's welding, so this might not be the case here, but rough chunky welds can indicate poor weld quality and there might be porosity or inadequate fusion of the weld. These greatly increase the chance that the weld will fail.

I've never looked at a Silverback's welding, so this might not be the case here, but rough chunky welds can indicate poor weld quality and there might be porosity or inadequate fusion of the weld. These greatly increase the chance that the weld will fail.

:angry: .......there is always one ...... :D

Guest Big H

Like Raleigh, you mean?

:)

Dont go and pull a TimHenman type statement on us.......!!!!!!!!!

I love how people on this forum continuasly bitch and moan about getting ripped off on overpriced brand names, Silverback gives a better quality bike 9/10 times and much better prices, but since they are the new kids on the block and cheaper than your rip off meridia or trek, they are now crap? lol you guys are funny, the silverback team last year won multiple races as far as I can remember and you dont win on crap bikes. Anyway each to his own i guess enjoy wasting your money on the overpriced kit :)

Some people are content to drive a Kia, some people like to own the latest Mercedes. The latter costs twice as much as the former but you don't end up getting twice the amount of car. If you apply Maslow's theory here you will find that the Kia drivers look to satisfy their basic needs with the purchase and the Merc drivers look to satisfy higher needs as well.

Buying a bike is the same. If you want a bike to ride - buy the cheap branded bikes, but if you want more from the bike go for one you REALLY like.

We all know what brands are out there...and what branded bikes everyone is riding at the local races!! And it is not Silverback!

So many other brands of better quality

Sorry agree with timhenman

going to have to disagree with you mate, the other brands have been in the market much longer so obvioulsy they will have bigger numbers, so the odds that one of the other brands will win is because there are 100 to 1 units, not that the bikes nore the racers are better by any means.

Guest Big H

We all know what brands are out there...and what branded bikes everyone is riding at the local races!! And it is not Silverback!

So many other brands of better quality

Sorry agree with timhenman

Sad case is that the bike you ride is most likely made in the same factory as the Silverback..... and whoops there blows your snobbish argument right out of the window!!!!!!!!

Which is true Big H all the frames basically come from the same set of factories out of the middle east :)

I'm getting the impression that quality is being confused with a rather crushing dose of brand consciousness, and then of course let's not forget that predictable knee-jerk mentality when it comes to anything that's developed, designed or engineered in South Africa. Silverback has some internationally capable high-end bikes, just ask any of the Team Neotel riders, and some of the guys who rode the Epic on a Silverback Mercury. Add to the mix some really high profile SA Triathletes who are also on Silverback, and I've read some extremely complementary feedback on their blogs and Facebook pages. Perhaps we should warn them of the error of their ways. Not only are they committing stylistic suicide by riding a Silverback, they are most likely doing irrevocable damage to their cycling careers!

Funny that; Silverback has a potent visual image, a great online presence and a smart marketing campaign - in some cases way better than the overseas crews. I'm also somewhat perplexed why a World Cup MTB Team would choose Silverback when their bikes "are crap", to quote dear old TimmyHenman . Perhaps I'm missing something. Perhaps, I'm boxing weigh above my amateur weight status. Hey, aren't you pros supposed to be in France, riding the Prologue?

Perhaps it's time for me to pedal off into the dipping winter sun on my R1000.00 Oakland...

My Cannondale (handmade in the land of God and glory) has rough and chunky welding. I can still handle a visibile welding bead complete with half-moon fish scale effect. What I cannot handle is an attempt to make the weld smooth by half-baked filing. Either you remove the weld's natural look altogether or leave it as is.

As for Silverback welding, I sincerely doubt it is faulty or of poor quality. These things are probably make by Taiwanese robots and I'll far rather have a robotic weld than a handmade in USA weld.

I'm getting the impression that quality is being confused with a rather crushing dose of brand consciousness, and then of course let's not forget that predictable knee-jerk mentality when it comes to anything that's developed, designed or engineered in South Africa. Silverback has some internationally capable high-end bikes, just ask any of the Team Neotel riders, and some of the guys who rode the Epic on a Silverback Mercury. Add to the mix some really high profile SA Triathletes who are also on Silverback, and I've read some extremely complementary feedback on their blogs and Facebook pages. Perhaps we should warn them of the error of their ways. Not only are they committing stylistic suicide by riding a Silverback, they are most likely doing irrevocable damage to their cycling careers!

Funny that; Silverback has a potent visual image, a great online presence and a smart marketing campaign - in some cases way better than the overseas crews. I'm also somewhat perplexed why a World Cup MTB Team would choose Silverback when their bikes "are crap", to quote dear old TimmyHenman . Perhaps I'm missing something. Perhaps, I'm boxing weigh above my amateur weight status. Hey, aren't you pros supposed to be in France, riding the Prologue?

Perhaps it's time for me to pedal off into the dipping winter sun on my R1000.00 Oakland...

Sounds like a half baked attempt by a Silverback employee/rep to push the brand. We all know that the pro riders will ride pick-n-pay specials if they have to. A crappy sponsorship is better than no sponsorship at all. And besides: how much say did the riders have in this issue? Betcha some palms got greased at Administration level to procure this sponsorship.