Tread Magazine reveals Silverback's New Moves..

Evolution

Yes we are in a Competitive day and age, and yes SILVERBACK are matched up against Brands by the Likes of Giant, Merida, Specialized, Morewood, Canondale and so much more. When all you do your analysis of brands Look at all the Facts. Combined all the brands that are Mentioned has a collective Design engineering Experience of 200 years +, and now a company that is a Mere 5 Years Old get matched up against them, that is an achievement on its own. All the other brands are aware of Silverback and what they have achieved and I can tell you now, it does not stop here. It took them 5 years to be a "threat" to all the Other well know brands you see, imagine what they can be Capable off in the next 5 years.

Have any one of you taken the time or effort to test a Silverback, more a issue has any one taken the time or effort to Test a Mercury. Before you have not done that, I'd Suggest rather to focus on the knowledge you carry.

By the way, have any one of you whom are making all these comments scouted the Hub to see if any Silverback Employee has ever made negative comments against other brands? I doubt you will find anything. Silverback are students of the Bike Engineering and Brands of the World and acknowledge the fact of Good engineering when they see it. Morewood has great Design's, yes. I've seen it and I've tested it. The same with most of the brands you mentioned, and again. Just because it is a Local manufactured Brand, it does not make Morewood insignificant.

So I ask you, test and then give your true unbiased opinion before you preach the facts you don't know.

I have tried the Mercury 2 (I think it is the same frame as the Mercury 1) and found the floating pivot-thing a bit unpredictable in fast corners. Furthermore I would have gone with SRAM X9 as I think shimano is over-priced and overrated. It didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling... It was simply a bike to ride.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter has a second hand Silverback Nabraska - took it to Tokai and rode it up to the mast and down again via the singletrack with no complaints. I was broken but the bike was intact.

@lukehardiman, I agree with you. I bought a entry level Silverback (Alpine) a year ago when I got into the sport. It's now more than a year later (and quite a few tough races) and the bike has given me no issues! Sure, my fork is less than useless and Shimano Deore is making my life miserable, but the frame hasn't cracked or broken (just my collarbone). So in short, if the frame could handle my 100kg plus body I'll give it 2 thumbs up!

morewood your logic is flawed mate sorry to say, Ive seen silverbacks beat every known brand out there never seen a TATA beat a Ferrari.

I'm with my mate Lost Frog here.

We decided to go to Ride Before you Buy @ Rietvlei to test some Full Susses, as we in the market to buy. We could only test the bikes that were there! - so now I'm only interested in the bikes I have tried. Only local bike was MOREWOOD. I have NEVER seen Mercury 1 nor Mercury 2 in any of the bike shops to test. I visit a lot of bike shops. Obviously, if you don't get these high spec bikes out there we will never buy them - even if they are good.

please contact me via e-mail so that we can take you out on a ride to test the Mercury IDS System. joggie@silverback.co.za

Concructive feedback is always good, but the priority is for you to ride the bike... Looking forward to hear from you!

Joggie

morewood your logic is flawed mate sorry to say, Ive seen silverbacks beat every known brand out there never seen a TATA beat a Ferrari.

Since we are knitpicking here...How many races have you been at where you have "seen" this? You somehow don't strike me as the racing type...

In theory a Tata bakkie would beat a ferrari on anything that is not tar...

Theres only one person on this hub than can irritate me like this, So i take it you hung up your meridia and finally ordered your morewood, and I have the Team neotel DVD if your interested shows you all the races they have won :)

Maybe I just dont understand your attack on the brand. You are happy with yours and others are happy with Silverback, agree different strokes...no attack on your perrsonality.

Not having a go at your personality, agree that purchases are made for various reasons. For me I have a Silverback because at the time it was the best bang for my buck, now I will look at Silverback first because I have been that happy with the bike.

Agreed buddy. Its not an attack on the brand, but rather a statement that I simply can't get excited about the current bikes. There is nothing that is unique about it. I will also not ride a Canondale Lefty, but it still remains unique and for that I have huge respect.

Futhermore the potential sponsorship of the SA team may be commendable, but it is not an indication of what the best brand is, its rather an indication of who out there is willing to commit. I hope that they get a decent return on this investment and also that this doesn't back-fire like the Neotel sponsorship did.

Dear Silverback Team

I would just like to say well done on the development of the Mecury 2. As an engineer I pride myself on researching all the aspects of a product before I buy it. I read as many forums as possible and try to get peoples firsthand experience with the product. One thing most people agreed on was that you would get value for your money when buying a Silverback. Now that I have had my Mercury 2 for a couple of months now I can tell you, “what an awesome bike”. No matter how hard the terrain or how much I push the limits (the bikes and mine) my Mecury 2 never complains. During the Knysna 85Km mountain bike race on Saturday other bikes were squealing, clanking and giving trouble while I rode through without any problems. Although reliability is important there are other factors that I am also very happy with. Whether I am climbing, pushing the speed on the flatter sections or making my way down a technical decent I always feel comfortable and assured which gives me confidence to push my limits. In short thanks for a great product that allows me to enjoy mountain biking that little bit more.

Best Regards

Sean Parker

Director

Theres only one person on this hub than can irritate me like this, So i take it you hung up your meridia and finally ordered your morewood, and I have the Team neotel DVD if your interested shows you all the races they have won :)

Hehe. And I do like to rev your enjin for you.

I'll sit and watch Neotel DVD's all day as long as Nolan Hoffman is not in them. He single-handedly succeeded to put the development of previously disadvantaged cyclists back by 3 years. Those who know me also know that this is a topic that I feel very passionate about.

And yes. The Merida is taking a short break. Got an offer to sell her for about what I paid for her, but can't let her go. Its another bike that I love and I have promised her that I will ride her from time to time.

Mr Morewood, why dont you come on a ride with us? would be a fun session...

Would love to ride with you. At the moment I am putting in serious hours for the Trans Baviaans, so lets call a ride for a week or 2 thereafter. I can then point out what bothers me about the Mercury design. I'll bring the beer too.

Joggie, seems morewoodmad is genetically linked to me :) goes to show you how brothers have opinions that can differ. On one hand i think he is just rying to peeve me off since the short time ive been enjoying mountainbiking I have fallen in love with my Silverback while he loves his meridia and now his morewood.

Even though I might not be the most experianced or the fittest for that matter I did some extensive research before I bought my SB like i do with anything I buy, and I am extremely happy with the product.

But knowing morewoodmad the only way your going to swing his opinion is to "donate a mercury to me so i can kick his ass one day"

Just kidding ... or not lol.

I have tried the Mercury 2 (I think it is the same frame as the Mercury 1) and found the floating pivot-thing a bit unpredictable in fast corners. Furthermore I would have gone with SRAM X9 as I think shimano is over-priced and overrated. It didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling... It was simply a bike to ride.

There you Go! Constructive feedback. Now if I may ask, which Model Year Mercury did you test?

The Reason I ask, MorewoodMad is due to the fact, that there is now not a PRODUCT on the market that does not get market Tested for Feedback and that is 100% Flawless from the start. I used to see some of Morewoods very first Models and it was not Flawless, why do you think any new Bicycle model in the Market, especially on High end, does NOT get MASS produced? They are Testing the Bikes to see how they react in Different circumstances. Every person has a different Riding Style and need and NO machine test can simulate that, the best way to test it, is Market Testing. This is what is done, although it does not get Recognized as such.

I also know for a fact that if you have ridden the Very first Mercury, you would have the comment you have, but a lot off water and knowledge has flown into the Silverback Ocean since then and they have Tightened up the Design tolerances and Lighten the frame. The Latest Generation 3 Frame is 250grams Lighter. With-out Sacrificing Frame Strength or Durability.

I'm not Trying to change your mind, you are a Morewood Man, and Morewood has got Good Suspension Designs, and I bet you he didn't wake up one morning and said that he is now going to design the best bike and did it, He made error's and he learned from it. If this was 7 year down the Line then all your comment would make sense, then at least the playing field would have been equal,but at this stage it is all wining for SILVERBACK and you can't disagree with that. So I guess what I'm Saying is a TATA is a TATA, but if the TATA does not Believe or Strive to be Better than a Ferrari he never Will be, but the SILVERBACK is not Slowing down, that I can assure you.

Silverback as a brand and a Entity in the market has shown that it wants to Lead and every year they are getting Better and better, this is why now they get compared against the liking of Morewood & Giant and other big brands, and face the Fact 3 year old Suspension System matched against 50+ year off Suspension technology from the other brands. You do the math on this one.