Schleck's pulleys

AndreZA

What are they trying with Andy's deraileur pulleys?

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/07/06/1/saxo_bank_s_works_tarmac_sl3_derailleur_rear_2_600.jpg

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/07/06/1/saxo_bank_s_works_tarmac_sl3_full_view_600.jpg

2 things I can think of:

1- larger pully = more teath = fewer rotations at same cadence = less friction.

2- Larger pully = larger circimfrence = less "flextion" of the chain = less friction.

JB whats the real reason?

Some engineer proberbly came up with a solution for something that that did not have a problem.

Very interesting...seems like the bottom one is way bigger than the top one. :huh: not same size.... :unsure:

been saying this for years bigger wheels are better - like 29" wheels on a MTB..... :P

must say it looks silly........

I've got it.

Bigger wheel can hold more chain links and allow him to ride big chainring big cog combination. What a noob

I've got it.

Bigger wheel can hold more chain links and allow him to ride big chainring big cog combination. What a noob

WOW... calling Andy Schleck a noob! You must be quite a bike rider!

also looks like he is missing a tooth on his larges gear on cassette...

On Red cassettes there is a tooth missing on each gear except smallest. Helps with shifting. Does that make a 25 a 24 and so on?

http://bicyclesportshop.com/images/library/large/sram_red_cass_08_m.jpg

EDIT: Correction. It's got 2 missing opposite each other.

also looks like he is missing a tooth on his larges gear on cassette...

Yes he is. It's SRAM. That is part of the trademark (on Red that is). They say it shifts better that way.

Found this regarding Lance's and Fabian's bikes. Maybe, Wolfgang also helps Andy?

"Most interestingly, if you look at the rear derailleur, both riders have employed the services of a man called Wolfgang Berner who has constructed a special carbon fiber rear derailleur aero pulley cage with a 13 tooth upper jockey wheel and a 15 tooth lower. This is said to reduce friction."

Found this regarding Lance's and Fabian's bikes. Maybe, Wolfgang also helps Andy?

"Most interestingly, if you look at the rear derailleur, both riders have employed the services of a man called Wolfgang Berner who has constructed a special carbon fiber rear derailleur aero pulley cage with a 13 tooth upper jockey wheel and a 15 tooth lower. This is said to reduce friction."

surely if they make it even bigger it will reduce friction even more. Why stop at 15t? If it worked then the manufacturers, all three of them, would have made it stock years ago.