Schleck's pulleys

AndreZA

At least its not as ugly as Lance's!

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/06/1278406272532-1pqeoefm2cncp-500-90-500-70.jpg

Another pic

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/06/1278406272569-uwym2h6xcsih-850-65.jpg

saw Sram talking about it a while ago on twitter. apparently its great saving on energy or something. not too sure anymore and too lazy to go dredge it up. looks weird though huh?

2 things I can think of:

1- larger pully = more teath = fewer rotations at same cadence = less friction.

2- Larger pully = larger circimfrence = less "flextion" of the chain = less friction.

JB whats the real reason?

Won't the contrary be true? i.e. larger pully = larger contact area = more friction? The least possible friction will mean no pully which will be the optimum

The basis of my reason is for the chain to be in as much "air" as possible, where this setup actually reduces the air-free-space around the chain.

I assume the "less friction" is to do with the friction of the chain links as they pivot less around each pin as the chain bends round the pully?

Wouldn't you rather decrease the entry and exit angle of the chain? The straighter the chain the less the friction.

I think someone is pulling the pully over Andy's eyes!

Won't the contrary be true? i.e. larger pully = larger contact area = more friction? The least possible friction will mean no pully which will be the optimum

The basis of my reason is for the chain to be in as much "air" as possible, where this setup actually reduces the air-free-space around the chain.

The chain doesn't rub against the pulley, because the pulley rotates. So contact area isn't a problem.

At least its not as ugly as Lance's!

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/06/1278406272532-1pqeoefm2cncp-500-90-500-70.jpg

Admittedly this is on Lance's TT bike, wonder how much diff the little aero cover makes? As for the whole bike with aero brakes, even the section from the stem to frame etc?

Almost like the bump on Valentino's Leathers :huh:

Its amazing what k@k your mind will believe.... Somehow one would worry about the stumpy metal derailler piece sticking out on Lance's bike more that a slim, rather swiss cheese-ish derailler pulley.

I rate that Wolfgang engineer is making a bunch of cash from these guys for giving them pulley wheels off a entry level Shimano derailler.... :rolleyes:

Guest Anon(yMous)

Its amazing what k@k your mind will believe.... Somehow one would worry about the stumpy metal derailler piece sticking out on Lance's bike more that a slim, rather swiss cheese-ish derailler pulley.

I rate that Wolfgang engineer is making a bunch of cash from these guys for giving them pulley wheels off a entry level Shimano derailler.... :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Sora!:P

2 things I can think of:

1- larger pully = more teath = fewer rotations at same cadence = less friction.

2- Larger pully = larger circimfrence = less "flextion" of the chain = less friction.

JB whats the real reason?

I think you are right on both points. Technically there will be less friction, but since this is on the return cycle of the chain without any tension to speak of, the friction savings will be in the order of a hundredth of a watt or so.

Chain articulation around a small circumference under tension is a problem for chain wear and friction but not as these guys imagine it.

However, there is no group more superstitious and gullible as elite athletes. They wear holy crosses, don't shave on time trial days, put their left socks on first, throw salt over their shoulders, say "bless you" when someone sneezes (probably more like F-you because of the health risk) and avoid black cats.

surely if they make it even bigger it will reduce friction even more. Why stop at 15t? If it worked then the manufacturers, all three of them, would have made it stock years ago.

it's not that simple I guess. The bike and component manufacturers have improved so much lately that they've already looked at all the obvious improvements of efficiency / performance, so I guess they're shifting attention to things that've been previously accepted as "perfect". I think the past decade the guys have focused on improvements in materials, but now that the bike weights are below the UCI's 6kg limit, the R&D guys must be looking at geometry and other stuff.

Whether it actually works or not, it obviously won't make a huge difference. Maybe it can shave off a second or two over a 1hr time trial, so I guess it counts for those guys...