Tour de France: Calorie Consumption

According to my HRM I burned 8045 kcal over 9 hours on this years Attakwas. The Knysna MTB cost me 4039 kcal over 3:45. So for me 1000 per hour seems reasonable with hard riding (90% hr max and over).

This is priceless... Funriders comparing the energy expended by a tdf rider to theirs on some random funride... You guys are too much...

To get 12,000 kcal in a day, the cyclist would need to use around 10,000kcal on the stage.

Assuming a 6hr stage, that's an average power of around 460W (1kJ work ≈ 1kcal burned).

For an 80kg rider that's an average of 5.75 W/kg which would be just under 90% of his threshold (assuming 6.4 W/kg). I don't think it's possible to hold 90% of threshold continuously for such a long time.

I suppose it miiiight be possible for a rider with a very high FTP or who is very heavy to do this during a long breakaway, but I'd say it's definitely not normal.

Depending on the riders they burn about 5500 to 7000 a day and that includes during recovery.

Heres a typical days food on the tour.Some of the guys even have a beer in the evening.

Breakfast

8.8 ounces (dry measure) rice or pasta

4 ounces muesli

4.4 ounce carton of yogurt or fromage blanc

1 to 2 slices whole grain bread

Homemade marmalade

Omelet made with 3 egg whites and one yolk (optional)

1 to 2 slices ham and/or cheese

Freshly squeezed orange juice

Coffee

Feed bags

4 cakes or bars (including rice cakes, almond cookies, and dried fruit bars)

Cut-up fruit: three chunks of pineapple, banana cut in three pieces, quartered apple

2 or 3 finger sandwiches filled with ham and cheese or preserves or chicken salad

3 or 4 protein bars

One .15 liter mini-can of Coke

Snack ( in hotel )

Small bowl rice pudding, served tepid

Sliced fruit

Dinner

1 to 2 slices prosciutto or other cured ham

8.8 ounces (dry measure) pasta with fresh tomato sauce

8.8 ounces beef tenderloin

Ratatouille (eggplant, zucchini, tomato stew)

Yogurt

Fresh fruit

Slice of cake (optional)

Water