Stellenbosch mountain scenery

Clint Adams

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you just pitch up and ride the routes ? is it safe ? is this not close to Eden ?

eden is right behind coetzenburg if i remember correctly

do you just pitch up and ride the routes ? is it safe ? is this not close to Eden ?

It's right next to Eden. Personally I wouldn't ride anywhere in Stellies (other than Jonkies) alone..

post-16739-047157000 1279805307.jpg

I believe this is G-spot...

Yes, that's g-spot

Yes you can just pitch up and ride.

About a year ago there were a few incidents involving guys attacking runners and cyclists...but I haven't heard of any incidents lately. Me and my friends also ride there often and haven't had any problems with safety.

And Coetzenburg (Stellenbosch mountain) is near Eden and G-spot. You could do quite a nice route through eden, then g-spot and then Coetzenburg.

heres a pic of jonkershoek last wekend. That newish singletrack on the right that is rediculissly steep great downhill

post-1279-033799400 1279804416.jpg

post-1279-098090600 1279804461.jpg

heres a pic of jonkershoek last wekend. That newish singletrack on the right that is rediculissly steep great downhill

So how far is that from the gate @ jonkershoek?

I used to ride alone in that parts above coetzenburg and in the woods towards somerset. SOme awesome trails there. The second pic is where I fell and broke both arms on my first stellenbosch ride. Had been riding mtb for a month.

Good times.

Now I have to pay R25 to go and ride at groenkloof and there's not even some nice looking stellies students going for a hike. eish

I used to ride alone in that parts above coetzenburg and in the woods towards somerset. SOme awesome trails there. The second pic is where I fell and broke both arms on my first stellenbosch ride. Had been riding mtb for a month.

Good times.

Now I have to pay R25 to go and ride at groenkloof and there's not even some nice looking stellies students going for a hike. eish

The students came back this week so the mountain is crowded again some nice "scenery"! LOL

• 1 month later...

Above the dam.

Condition of some of those tracks has deteriorated, but still perfectly ridable.

Some one was let loose with a grader and a digger, and all these roads in good, if not slightly boring, condition.

Some one was let loose with a grader and a digger, and all these roads in good, if not slightly boring, condition.

There is way more mud now then earlier this year. Took a ride there Saturday and it was really muddy. gonna go for a ride tonight and see.

Great pics, clintadam.

I'm a roadie and that does look peaceful. Lekka rustig. God's garden... :rolleyes:

Yes saw a couple of roadies go past us on there way toward franschoek on the old Helshoogte pass. I see its becoming a popular route as the tar road leads all the way to the top of Tokara wine Estate and then one can take the new Helshoogte towards Boschendal/Franschoek.

It was a nice MTB ride though. :rolleyes:

Yes saw a couple of roadies go past us on there way toward franschoek on the old Helshoogte pass. I see its becoming a popular route as the tar road leads all the way to the top of Tokara wine Estate and then one can take the new Helshoogte towards Boschendal/Franschoek.

It was a nice MTB ride though. :rolleyes:

Clint, quick question regarding the Idas Valley dams. Where do you ride from to reach the dams? From the old Helshoogte pass? This is one area of Stellenbosch that I do not ride; something that I have been meaning to do for quite some time. I frequently ride Botmaskop up to near the top of the new Helshoogte, then return via the pass to town.

The old pass is a great hill to do intervals on - except for the odd patch of glass. From the gate to the top is about 9 minutes. And with the new gate and security guards it seems quite safe at the moment.