Stellenbosch mountain scenery

Clint Adams

Clintadam what mountains :P

Just pulling your leg Cool photos, you okes have a magic playground down there and all that blue sky as well...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old pass is a great hill to do intervals on - except for the odd patch of glass. From the gate to the top is about 9 minutes. And with the new gate and security guards it seems quite safe at the moment.

I did some road intervals up there early in the year...found it a bit disconcerting to see blokes sitting next to the road having a drink at 6 a.m though. Have not ridden there since January, hence the question to Clint. Want to badly ride the area around the dams on my MTB (I know Sara rode around there a couple of years ago), but not too sure about the safety aspect.

Clint, quick question regarding the Idas Valley dams. Where do you ride from to reach the dams? From the old Helshoogte pass? This is one area of Stellenbosch that I do not ride; something that I have been meaning to do for quite some time. I frequently ride Botmaskop up to near the top of the new Helshoogte, then return via the pass to town.

I stay in Idas Valley and we go via Old Helshoogte pass. There is a new Security gate so no more people are allowed to Hang around there. You can go through the gate with bike or go walking there.

You can go in @ the top next to the tokara entrance. If you're comming from the bottom there is 2 places to enter. Either over the DAM wall or go on further with the tar road and then get to the second dirt road and then just follow it. just keep right and follow the dirt road :D

This thread should be called "Lets make the joburgers jealous" :-)

We have so many awesome places to go ride down here in the Western Cape. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to decide where to ride.

I stay in Idas Valley and we go via Old Helshoogte pass. There is a new Security gate so no more people are allowed to Hang around there. You can go through the gate with bike or go walking there.

You can go in @ the top next to the tokara entrance. If you're comming from the bottom there is 2 places to enter. Either over the DAM wall or go on further with the tar road and then get to the second dirt road and then just follow it. just keep right and follow the dirt road :D

Thanks Clint. I think I know the second dirt road. As kids we used to cycle up there (to the top dam) to fish. I remember dicing the buses coming down the old pass... :unsure:...in the dark, no lights....good times. :P

This thread should be called "Lets make the joburgers jealous" :-)

We have so many awesome places to go ride down here in the Western Cape. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to decide where to ride.

I'm gonna start crying just now...

Screw yous guy! It is waaaay more prettier down the sewerage infested 'Spruit!

Sorry Guys! :D

Will be posting some more pics later this month as i see the weather is nice and I will be going there on saturday again. :P

I'm just waiting on my bakkie to be fixed then I will go to Jonkies, Tokai forest etc.... should i say more. LOL

See you guys....

I did some road intervals up there early in the year...found it a bit disconcerting to see blokes sitting next to the road having a drink at 6 a.m though. Have not ridden there since January, hence the question to Clint. Want to badly ride the area around the dams on my MTB (I know Sara rode around there a couple of years ago), but not too sure about the safety aspect.

I've done quite a bit of riding up there recently, and with the new gate and security guards I haven't even seen a suspicious looking person. The road surface could do with being swept, but otherwise, it is a great place to ride.

I've done quite a bit of riding up there recently, and with the new gate and security guards I haven't even seen a suspicious looking person. The road surface could do with being swept, but otherwise, it is a great place to ride.

Wonder if this is an easier ride then the new helshoogte road cycle? That is one long and steep hill. :D

Another vote for Old Helz as training ride.

I did my first ascent of the spring on Sunday, and it was great. The gate has been upgraded recently, I think. My riding buddy and I had been caught by a bunch of four Somerset Westers, so 6 of us ascending, and we saw at east two guys descending, and no dodgy types. (Present company excepted, of course.)

Easier than than New Helz? Just different. Very little motorised traffic before the gate, and obviously none after, so peaceful in that respect, which makes it easier to hear the Phil Liggett commentary. New Helz has a very fierce section about 500m from the traffic lights, Old Helz has a few short, sharp sections. And more shade, which matters as summer picks up!