Energade

Help.Me.

Hi Attreewr are you making your own drinks? Does it work for you?

I raced Knysna 85 and the 100 road the next day with the following:

3 teaspoons of Moltodextron 9 (bought from hubber- whats his name..)

1 teaspoon Fruitose sugar

a 1/4 teaspoon salt

and a tablespoon chocolate flavour Protein shake which has a whole hoast of stuff- it was Evox muscle fuel

in a 750ml bottle

Ive always been racing with either Cytomax or Fit and though I havnt raced for quite sometime I couldnt feel a "huge" difference with the 'home mix" which I train on.

Basicly if the carbs are in there you should be ok.

Im going to try hammer or just stick to Fit which iIve raced on many times for the stellies challenge just because Its such a difficult thing to "feel" the difference im not going to take chances for a race that if spent weeks prepping for.

I always supplement with +- one banana per hour.

Hi Attreewr are you making your own drinks? Does it work for you?

Yes, I use a mix of Maltrodextrin 35g, Fructose 10g (Optional), Vanilla Whey protein 10g, tsp Salt and a little Energade for Flavour to a bottle, done an IronMan on the mix. Maltrodextrin is a pure complex carb with a low GI, you can work on 4Cal to 1gram Maltrodextrin.

Mix is very cheap as 2 Kg Maltrodextrin is approx R30.

Was a great fan of GU2O, but as Maltrodextrin is the main ingredient, didn't feel much difference...

Warwick

Does anybody use Energade as an energy drink? Some feedback will be appreciated? I used it in the begining ,I have changed to other energy drinks PVM and Oxysport and are realy confused?? How will I know which is the right one for me??

Poor Help.Me.....you must be REALY confused now!!!! Good Luck....

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I've tried a variety and find Energade works for me, as does Powerade, USN etc but some riders have different reactions. Best is to try it out on a hard training session rather than in a race.

Poor Help.Me.....you must be REALY confused now!!!! Good Luck....

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

You are very right about that..... :D :D But it is very interesting to see all the different inputs and "secrets" AND advice. It is nice to know I am not the only one that are experimenting with all the goodies....

You are very right about that..... :D :D But it is very interesting to see all the different inputs and "secrets" AND advice. It is nice to know I am not the only one that are experimenting with all the goodies....

A cynical comment would be IMHO that a lot of Sports drink manufactures think we base our choice of drink on Price, if it is more then is must be better !!

I do not see where the Price is in some of the upper end drinks ??

Would like to see some justification from these suppliers .....

I've tried quite a few, but cause I suffer with sinus / allergies, I find that most of them give me a post nasel drip which then makes me feel sick.

I won a natural flavoured energy drink (i.e not colourants) and it worked well for me, but is very hard to find.

I now use Cytomax and am LOVING it. Get a boost and it doesn't affect the sinuses. I don't train with it though only use it for races so I just buy the sachets. Costs me R15 for a 750ml bottle, but at least I get to choose the flavour I feel like on the day. I get really bored drinking the same flavour each time. Also use the cytomax gels and find them much easier to swallow than things like Gu's.

A cynical comment would be IMHO that a lot of Sports drink manufactures think we base our choice of drink on Price, if it is more then is must be better !!

Can't agree more about the price thing , had a chat to my cycling friend last night about it(cycling clothes was the topic)...you've got basically 2 options either buy at that price or stay without it... and we ( i think so because prices don't come down)opt the first option?? At least we can get stuff cheaper from CRC :D ??

I use energade pretty much exclusively simply because it's available just about anywhere so it suits my lazy-ass, convenience attitude to cycling! I go for the 1 litre concentrated bottles that make 5 litres which for some reason taste better (and is way cheaper per litre) than the ready-mixed version.

Also, while on the bike I try and stick to a strict "less, but more often" rule of drinking - a couple of sips every 3-5mins to try and avoid the sugar buzz some guys are talking about. Gulping down a couple of mouthfulls after a hectic climb will only shock your stomach.

Nutrition is so much more than just the energy drink in your bottles. It all depends on your requirements:

0 to 2hr ride - Energade or coke diluted with a bit of water works fine (its basically sugar and water)

2 to 4hr ride - Get something that has some rehydrating qualities as well (game, Heed, etc)

4 hr plus ride - Get something that provides carbs, fats and protein as well (perpetium etc)

Supplement your nutrition intake with a good energy bar. I have a 1/4 powerbar every hour or so. On rides longer than 4 hours I take baby potatoes in olive oil and salt in a ziplock bag and I alternate eating potatoes on one hour and energy bar on the alternate hour.

The most important factor is what it tastes like. It may taste great when you buy the stuff, but after tasting your own sweat for hours, you may not like whats in your bottles any more. Especially when its luke-warm. If your stomache doesnt agree with the product in your bottle, you end up not drinking it.

i use Game cherry, taste good even if a bit warm :blink: but got some 32gi at post office to be picked up later today. Will try that only on long rides

I get Cytomax from Frail / Cytomax here on the hub, delivers to my door@ R220 small tub or R380 big tub which isnt very expensive at all.

General concensus amongst nutritionists seems that Cytomax is one of the best. Its a International brand and Imported, which means it has to undergo all the tests that our local brands like Biogen and USN dont undergo apparently thats quite a big thing... I wont Touch USN again..

Fit also worked for me and Im sure hammer and other brands also do, Its just convienient and I dont doubt it, Im confident that I can go 100% and dont blow In fact, Ive not blown for a longtime, though It might just be a bit of experience..

flame away..

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice that the 1L Powerade concentrate has shrunk to 750ml and now makes 4.5L instead of 5L. All this comes at the same price as the previous Powerade which made 5L. The marketing ploy is that it contains "more vitamins". Another case of consumers being ripped off I think.

Moving over to Energade

Did you guys watch the TDF live?

did you notive the amount of water they drink?

did you notice the even bigger amount of Coke they drink

Even seen taking RedBull.

Please dont fall into the marketing and sales Hype

i raced for many years....its how you fuel before, not during, and what you do after thats important.

But if you feel that new drink "GiJoe" is good, then each time you use it, remind yourself that its working because you paid alot of money for it.