Lightweight Obermayer wheels

_Daemon_

smiley3.gif hey Frocio what kind of italian are you that you dont dig CAMPAGNOLA??

That is just wrong if Paolo Betinni read your post he would slap the sh*t out of you!!!!!!!!!! smiley36.gif

I have a mate that rides Lightweights - they are about R30k and, according to him, the most fantastic wheels to ride - incredibly light, incredibly stiff and fantastic comfort to.

ow thats surprising, they look very average... did not think they were that good.... but if they 30k a set they must be something else

They seem to have a bit of a cult following among the weightweenie set as they are supposedly the best of the bunch (and the most expensive) in all respects. (even if they arent all that stiff, they are light...)

With carbon spokes bonded onto the rims (and hubs?), they will be difficult & expensive to repair. They will have to be sent back to the factory etc. I would be VERY nervous of riding them on our roads!

You cant compare those wheels to anything' date=' they are in a leauge of their own. Its like trying to compare a Bugatti Veyron to any other supercar..[/quote']

How about comparing them to these:

Nice wheels! Both the lightweights and the Lews.

Lightweights have been head and shoulder above the rest (well, besides ADA which are very similar) since they came out over 10 years ago.

The Lews might just be the 'next thing'. Just been launched so will be interesting to see how they fare in the real world.

Almost disgusting how many pairs of Lightweights are out and about in Switzerland.. Lucky buggers.

Hi All,

I have a set of the 'normal' Lightweights, the Obermeyers are slightly lighter and about 50% more expensive.  Mine cost about R25k and are the most awesome wheels you can imagine.  They are super stiff, weigh in at 1050g/set and have no rider weight limit.

I ride mine every day except winter morning training rides and havnt had a moments hassle with them.  They are a unique construction  with the kevlar 'spokes' bonded to the rim and hub so there is no truing.  As far as I know, nobody has ever broken a spoke unless it is in a crash.  They are so tough that at one of the bike shows the Lightweight guys were challenging people to try break them with their bare hands- nobody could.

I have ridden Zips and there is simply no comparison.  Zips feel very soft and based on the number of broken Zips I have seen, are much more fragile.  Switching from Ksyrium SL's this morning it felt like I was flying up the climbs.

Lightweights are very difficult to get hold of but if anybody is interested, you are welcome to come take a look at mine and I can put you in touch directly with my dealer.

wow they sound AMAZING! jeez im impressed..... how much do the obermayers weigh????!!! if the normal are 1050g! 

Lightweights are awesome wheels - most of the 'unbranded' wheels you see under pro riders in the Euro bunch are Lightweights. The Obermayers are the lighter version, and go for around US$5500, same price as the LEW wheels. If I have to choose between the two, I would go for the LEWs. However, availability is always a problem, and more importantly neither wheel can be repaired/trued anywhere but the factory.

Definitely worth it though if you feel like spending more double what you would on a set of Zipps...

Yes but remember' date=' you cannot build a PowerTap in to them, thus they're not perfect! LOLLOL[/quote']

shame on you for even thinking of desecrating perfection like that Smile