Making the wrong size work

Wrigs

Not to hijack the topic, but how much 'play' is there in sizing? How much can you tweak to make a bike fit? I find I am between two sizes (50 and 52), depending on the make of bike.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack the topic, but how much 'play' is there in sizing? How much can you tweak to make a bike fit? I find I am between two sizes (50 and 52), depending on the make of bike.

No Desi, please go ahead - quite keen to learn as much as I can on this too.

Fritz Pienaar (Specialized Dealers) suggested to me that I should always go smaller if you slot exactly in the middle.

Depending on the geometry of the frame you can even ride a 52 in some brands, I am about as tall as you,well 1cm shorter but my in seam is the same as yours and I ride a 54, it makes a huge difference, you should be on a 54.

Did you purchase the frame/bike 2nd hand or did you buy it new? Either way the person should not have sold it to you

I am 176cm tall with shortish legs and ride a 52cm bike.

Started off with a 56 size bike but when I got a smaller frame the difference was unblievable.

On your hight and leg length rather get yourslef measured up and get a bike that fits your proportions

but 52 size might just do it.

54 With short stem could also work.

You do not state your age as this will also depict how long the frame should be.

Older age (40's plus) might require a shorter reach if you were not riding a lot before that.

No Desi, please go ahead - quite keen to learn as much as I can on this too.

Fritz Pienaar (Specialized Dealers) suggested to me that I should always go smaller if you slot exactly in the middle.

I second that B)

Is there a chart that you can check what your frame size should be taking your height and in-seam into account?

I am 1.95m tall with an in seam of 93cm. I ride a 58cm frame (I think) with 175mm crank length.

Is there some kind of formula that can be used to get the optimum relationship for the total bike setup?

Is there a chart that you can check what your frame size should be taking your height and in-seam into account?

I am 1.95m tall with an in seam of 93cm. I ride a 58cm frame (I think) with 175mm crank length.

Is there some kind of formula that can be used to get the optimum relationship for the total bike setup?

And I have a Cervelo R3 that would fit you like a glove (now if only one of these little yellow faces had tears)

Depending on the geometry of the frame you can even ride a 52 in some brands, I am about as tall as you,well 1cm shorter but my in seam is the same as yours and I ride a 54, it makes a huge difference, you should be on a 54.

Did you purchase the frame/bike 2nd hand or did you buy it new? Either way the person should not have sold it to you

Sharkie, to be honest I went in knowing it was too big - bought the frame together with a whole lot of extras from a young pro taking a break to get an education (smart move on his part :) )

The extras made it worth while - I kind of knew that I would have to resell / swap the frame.

But went out on her this afternoon anyway - what an awesome ride :D

Will post something on Rant and Rave a little later - this felt too good to keep to myself :) :) :P :P :D :D

I know it's been settled but my 2c:

Moving the saddle forward to compensate for TT length will have two very negative effects

1. It'll move the weight distribution and forward which will have a negative effect on the handling and balance of your bike
  2. You'll pedal "backwards" instead of down. This will tire your quads more than usual, put strain on your lower back and core and bust your knees

Running a shorter stem to compensate for reach will

1. Make your steering a lot lighter and sharper. Great for AM mtb'ing - not so good riding in a bunch! It will also move your weight back
  2. Depending on cockpit and fork you might feel more road clutter. This will tire you more than usual.