Importance of a good helmet

A good helmet is an essential thing to have,

I wouldn't say spending R2000+ is better than say R600

I agree that shelling out money on a helmet is money well spent I personally don't feel safe in cheap helmets I think the point trying to be made is that a helmet from the "Big Brand" (Bell, Giro, 661, Limar.....) which complies with the saftey standards is a good investment.

Unfortunately most people do not understand that R600+ on a helmet is alot cheaper than the ICU with a head injury it seems they buy cars with safety in mind but wont drop some money on a helmet.

It's the attitude of " I never ride with a helmet or being stingy on the helmet wich gets people killed and injured

I myself had had a few nasty falls and written off completely the follwing helmets:

661 Full comp (went straight over the bar on a big jump, now have naeck and shoulder issues but my head was okay)

Giro, got my wheels tapped and ate tar.

Bell Slant, hit a tree in an XC race helmet shattered but I was okay

I am thankful that I bought good quality helmets in the first place.

@LegTrap: Glad your wife is OK and may she get better soon.

On helmet construction, my brother in law is an engineer and helmets are of particular interest to him. For him everything is energy. I made similar comments one day about cheap vs expensive and how I wanted a R3K helmet instead of my R500 BELL.

He looked at my helmet and gave me some more insight into the construction methods of the foam used in my BELL vs the more expensive ones. Now my boet-in-law is a motorcyclist and has no bias towards cycling gear brands.

End of day your helmets protective properties start to plateau at your middle of the range units. While my BELL is not middle of range its close enough.

But factors that override the energy absorbing properties of helmet are the fit of it and its shape. A well fitted helmet is your best helmet.

Also helmets with those wings at the back like the Armstrong Giro can be dangerous during a fall. They can hook onto clothing, spokes, etc

End of day your helmets protective properties start to plateau at your middle of the range units. While my BELL is not middle of range its close enough.

So they get safer up to mid-range (R1000?), then plateaus?

Thanks helmet, and God's grace, This is why I would like to visit Schools and tell the parents of the kids cycling to school to wear helmets, Jenns voight said if it was not for his helmet!!

Good on you.

I also set an example at my sons creche. When I drop him off he goes by his Y-Bike (its around the corner from home, 800m). And he always wears his helmet. He knows that I preach "No Helmet, No Ride!"

So they get safer up to mid-range (R1000?), then plateaus?

Hard to give an exact price as brands can sometimes charge a premium for their logo, but yes.

QUESTION - It is said that helmets have a life of about 3 year before you need to replace them due to the "foam" becooming brittle or something.....

How does this influance helmets sitting on a shop floor / factore floor for 1 or 2 years Does this mean that if one buys that helmet you can only safly use it for 1 or 2 years? :o

QUESTION - It is said that helmets have a life of about 3 year before you need to replace them due to the "foam" becooming brittle or something.....

How does this influance helmets sitting on a shop floor / factore floor for 1 or 2 years Does this mean that if one buys that helmet you can only safly use it for 1 or 2 years? :o

We had an interesting thread about that last year. The debate was environmental effects on the foam and well nobody can really prove this theory as they never mention the LBS factor.

The rule of thumb is that you will fall hard someday. Just remember that when you fall hard you do not see the damage to the shell as the only damage visible is the cosmetic one (and the cosmetic part of your helmet dose not add protection).

This is when you replace your helmet!

The 3yrs story is a marketing thing as we all have different riding styles.

I also asked my boet-in-law as the theory I read concerning my motorbike helmet was that the constant putting down and light banging of my helmet cause the foam to loose its properties. After another long discussion with him he proved the theory wrong.

@LegTrap: Glad your wife is OK and may she get better soon.

On helmet construction, my brother in law is an engineer and helmets are of particular interest to him. For him everything is energy. I made similar comments one day about cheap vs expensive and how I wanted a R3K helmet instead of my R500 BELL.

He looked at my helmet and gave me some more insight into the construction methods of the foam used in my BELL vs the more expensive ones. Now my boet-in-law is a motorcyclist and has no bias towards cycling gear brands.

But factors that override the energy absorbing properties of helmet are the fit of it and its shape. A well fitted helmet is your best helmet.

Also helmets with those wings at the back like the Armstrong Giro can be dangerous during a fall. They can hook onto clothing, spokes, etc

You are dead right in what you mentioned above...... helmet fit is the important issue.

There are two issues here..... firstly the fit of the helmet on your skull. Not all of us are made the same. Some helmets may fit better than others and others may irritate you while on your head.

Secondly the tightness of the adjutable strap at the back as well as the strap around or under your chin. This must fit and be adjusted properly.

No sense in buying Lance's Giro and it fits badly or sits on the back of your head like a p!sspot!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree, helmets are like bikinis, the less material the better they look.......

I remember riding with those leather strap (strip) helmets

I have to agree, helmets are like bikinis, the less material the better they look.......

Just like bikinis they must fit, or it's just not the same.

Sooo...there you have it! DO NOT CYCLE in the dense mist (itake it you are from CT?? Today was particularly bad...)

What pisses me off as much is the dumb ass motorists that do not even bother to turn any headlights on!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

That said the other day i saw this chap on his bike in mist no tail or headlights, no reflective gear. Just him and his 30k bike looking to get killed. He turned into durban road.