New Cycling Magazine

Eugene

I saw a new magazine yesterday on the shelf of a small cafe called Topcycle.

Has anybody bought it or read it yet? It looked thinner than Bicycling and cost R30. I paged through it rather briefly (whilst the shop owner watched out the corner of his eye) and it reminded me of the old defunct CyclingSA. I only noticed a number of local race reviews with no tech stuff or product reviews (but as I said, it was brief look).

Is it worth the read or should I rather spend the R30 on a new tube.

Rather spend the money on a hand full of chocolates. Definately not worth it if you already buy Cycle Sport Magazine. The articles about the TdF climbs were copied from there from a few months ago. No product reviews but then again they just started. The "skinder" news is very old. They "heard" that the Schleck brothers are starting their own team. We knew that already before the TdF started. I was in a hurry so could not scan before I bought.

I saw a new magazine yesterday on the shelf of a small cafe called Topcycle.

Has anybody bought it or read it yet? It looked thinner than Bicycling and cost R30. I paged through it rather briefly (whilst the shop owner watched out the corner of his eye) and it reminded me of the old defunct CyclingSA. I only noticed a number of local race reviews with no tech stuff or product reviews (but as I said, it was brief look).

Is it worth the read or should I rather spend the R30 on a new tube.

I dont buy local magazines so I cant comment, but I do wanna know where you get tubes for R30.00!! :blink:

Solomon's sell 3 Conti tubes for 100.

Phooew, I have to go there then, they in Woodmead are they not?,.... near my golf shop. :)

The local shop here by me sells tubes (on a special price) for R55.00 - I think they are Vitt.... something or other, cant remember.! - they have that removable valve,....... which always leaks!!

Bought TREAD magazine yesterday and read through it and looks OK. they had some good articles about MTB Stuff.

It really had some reviews and some nice PICS....

Maybe it would be worth the read! :rolleyes:

articles very amateurish...what sets this mag apart from bicycling?

Haven't read it as yet. SA cycling being such a small community, i think any new competition in any aspect of cycling is great. Sure, it might need some work. But its also not the easiest time of year to enter the market, as everyone has been keeping such a close eye on the international scene. I hope our community at least gives it a proper chance before they make up their minds about whether it is a good publication or not... meaning more than deciding based on one issue.

Haven't read it as yet. SA cycling being such a small community, i think any new competition in any aspect of cycling is great. Sure, it might need some work. But its also not the easiest time of year to enter the market, as everyone has been keeping such a close eye on the international scene. I hope our community at least gives it a proper chance before they make up their minds about whether it is a good publication or not... meaning more than deciding based on one issue.

hope so too

The Editor and columnists are all well respected cyclists making an effort to get something new off the ground lets give them a fair chance.I will be supporting them.

Scanned the pages at the Spar but havent got it yet. The best thing to do is to write to the editor and tell them what you would like to see in a mag and hopefully they might listen.

They have to give the market what they want or else wont be around for a long time.

I dont buy local magazines so I cant comment, but I do wanna know where you get tubes for R30.00!! :blink:

There's a supermarket/hardware store close to my house that sells a brand of tubes called Swallow for R24.00.

I've tried them out and they are as good as any other brand I've used. The only problem is they come with super long valves.

Grumps

Are you familiar with Rouleur ?