buyers remorse :blink:

covie

I was just wondering who actually spent a fortune on a bike just to realize it was the biggest waste of money ever.

From what I have gathered on the hub is that 99% of the people that have 30K + bikes seems to think their steeds are just simply the best and they are in biking nirvana.

However life has tought me expensive is not always better, and brand name obviously can give you enough muscle to sell a peace of crap for a ridiculous price.

Guess my question is who is brave enough to publicly state that they have buyers remorse and on what kit.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll start. My 6600 Ultegra groupset that I got for a ridiculous low R4700 landed in 2007. Not because of how it works but how it looks. I really don't like the look of the cranks and the idiots are continuing to make it like that. But then there was noting else. Sram did not exist.

I used to ride a Pinarello... Great bike, absolutely shocking back-up service (when the 3 year old frame cracked). Don't know if that counts, but will never ride a Pinarello again in my life!

BTW, Specialized is the best thing since sliced bread! Going to be very very sad to see the back of mine next week... :(

I had buyers remorse big time after spending 20K on a BH G4 frame. I bought a used ex medscheme frame and when it arrived it didn't look like I had imagined it would. I like my stuff in perfect nick and it had scuffs and chips all over that I had to touch up.

The fit wasn't perfect as the steerer was cut short, and it just didn't ride like I wanted it it to feel. It was light and stiff, but the Aero fork whistled in the wind, and there were no cable tension adjusters on the downtube, which meant I had to stop 4 times in a race to get my gears to work... (Ok I didn't set them properly when I changed my wheels)

The agent is awesome and service was good, I just think the used frame didn't do it for me. I probably would have liked a new one.

I got back on my SL3 and was blown away.. again - it was light and fast but without the harshness, fit perfectly and had all the features I wanted for convenience.

I used to ride a Pinarello... Great bike, absolutely shocking back-up service (when the 3 year old frame cracked). Don't know if that counts, but will never ride a Pinarello again in my life!

BTW, Specialized is the best thing since sliced bread! Going to be very very sad to see the back of mine next week... :(

I think the worst thing for anybody that has spent 30k plus on a bike is when you are in that long awaited race and a guy on a "game special " passes you with tekkies and all on the toughest climb of the day. That just sometimes shows you 30k is not always the best spent money, but at least when I walk into the garage everytime I can't take the smile of my face when I look at the " beasts " standing around beckoning me to go and ride them !!!!

I've learnt the hard way (4th bike in two years). Fit out weighs everything - especially weight and definitely price! Found peace of mind and top speed on 2006 second hand mid specked aluminium bike. Cost under 4000.

You are right. For the average biker brand names and top of the range components only come into their own when selling.

I think its kinda along the lines of the "small man syndrome" and cars. Also just cause youve got the money to buy the best doesnt mean it suits you(maybe its too show off, look at how much I earn but cant even ride properly). I see a lot of it too, whats the point in buying such an expensive bike only to be usd a few times and then sold. Ive got a mate that did the same thing - bought a 40k bike that is now a wall feature in his study, along with a top of range spinninjg bike that is now a clothes horse( he wont let me use it or sell it, weird) I am tryiing to get him to sell the bike and switch to MTBing.

I think its kinda along the lines of the "small man syndrome" and cars. Also just cause youve got the money to buy the best doesnt mean it suits you(maybe its too show off, look at how much I earn but cant even ride properly). I see a lot of it too, whats the point in buying such an expensive bike only to be usd a few times and then sold. Ive got a mate that did the same thing - bought a 40k bike that is now a wall feature in his study, along with a top of range spinninjg bike that is now a clothes horse( he wont let me use it or sell it, weird) I am tryiing to get him to sell the bike and switch to MTBing.

Why does it have to be about impressing other people? I ride nice bikes because I feel good riding them... Where is the line then? South African 'pro-riders' aren't as good as Schleck and Contador so should they also ride alu Raleighs rather than top of the line racing bikes or do they qualify for an entry level carbon Madone because they are better than your average fun rider who only qualifies for a Game special?

Just remember, these companies and their top-end bikes wouldn't exist without the support of the funriders of the world who make up the majority of the market! Really, who cares what bike the guy passing you is on, it just means he's fitter than you!

Does every Ferrari driver in the world spend their weekends in Italy doing testing for the Ferrari F1 team in your world?

The new saying: It's not about the bike, it's about how much you enjoy riding it!

Why does it have to be about impressing other people? I ride nice bikes because I feel good riding them... Where is the line then? South African 'pro-riders' aren't as good as Schleck and Contador so should they also ride alu Raleighs rather than top of the line racing bikes or do they qualify for an entry level carbon Madone because they are better than your average fun rider who only qualifies for a Game special?

Just remember, these companies and their top-end bikes wouldn't exist without the support of the funriders of the world who make up the majority of the market! Really, who cares what bike the guy passing you is on, it just means he's fitter than you!

Does every Ferrari driver in the world spend their weekends in Italy doing testing for the Ferrari F1 team in your world?

The new saying: It's not about the bike, it's about how much you enjoy riding it!

* On an aside, I think your comment is more of an indication of small man syndrome, don't be jealous of the beginners on better bikes than you, just work harder so you can afford them too! *

You missed the point , Im not saying all people are like that - its like why buy a super car when u cant drive it properly. Why not start with a cheaper bike then work your way up. I not jealous at all, If I wanted to buy an expensive bike I could, but rather I work my way up to it.

I've had big time sellers remorse.

Sold my TCR Composite with cosmic carbones, nad almost instantly regreted it.

Then bought a pair of ex-team carbones to ease the pain, but they arrived fairly well scratched.

a year later I still have not ridden them, I don't have a road bike.

Waste of money.

My regrets are mostly on components: saddle bags that spoil the look of the bike, lights that don't fit the tubes, pumps that don't pump. I'm getting to have drawers full of these bits. Maybe I need to find the bikes that go with them instead?

My regrets are mostly on components: saddle bags that spoil the look of the bike, lights that don't fit the tubes, pumps that don't pump. I'm getting to have drawers full of these bits. Maybe I need to find the bikes that go with them instead?

Garage sale time ;)

Ok I didnt intend this to become a "small man syndrome debate" I see valid points from both edge and crack.

Some poeple can afford to buy top of the range as a beginers bike and others will purly buy an expensive steed to show off or becuase their mates have them. Thats just like in any other segment of life.

However My concern with this is, If i ask a chap how do you like your anthem, spez, morewood, santa cruz etc. Do i get a valid opinion or do I get the opinion of some guy who has just paid his life savings on a bike, hates it. But does not want to admit it was a mistake to buy.