Knee Pain

covie

Well not pain actually, on my last couple of rides my knee feels like its just about to go. This obviously worries me a bit and forces me not to push on my rides.

I was now sitting watching something really boring on TV and rested my elbow just above my knee. To my suprise i felt the muscle is sensative, so I applied more pressure and I felt a pain on the inside of my knee dead center.

Googled it and this is what came up

http://www.round-earth.com/kneepain-rectus-femoris.html

Turns out my there mignt not be anything wrong with my knee after all :D, will see if the stretching excersizes does the trick

Well not pain actually, on my last couple of rides my knee feels like its just about to go. This obviously worries me a bit and forces me not to push on my rides.

I was now sitting watching something really boring on TV and rested my elbow just above my knee. To my suprise i felt the muscle is sensative, so I applied more pressure and I felt a pain on the inside of my knee dead center.

Googled it and this is what came up

http://www.round-earth.com/kneepain-rectus-femoris.html

Turns out my there mignt not be anything wrong with my knee after all :D, will see if the stretching excersizes does the trick

I use a thing called Paingone for those sorts of niggling pains, works a treat. ;)

Self diagnosis via the Internet is dangerous, I diagnosed myself with PFS but in fact it was diagnosed by a sports dr as tendinitis. Dont mess with guessing there are to many factors.

Normally I would agree with you wheelsuck. But lets look at this particular case, I only started cycling a couple months ago, and havent excersized for years prior to this. I havent pushed myself too hard and my fitness levels are gradually increasing at my own relaxed pace.

Then my knee started to feel (and its difficult to explain) like its about to dislocate when i cycle. Not excrusiatingly sore, but enough to have had me worried. So i kept on cycling but in very low gears to see what happens and it did not get worse nor better. And it was always there.

The as per the description above I felt the pain directly in the center of my knee when i put my elbow about 10-15cm above my kneecap while sitting down. So yes I googled it got to this and it just looked like this might be the case.

Now if you read the article all it says apply pressure to the pressure point, exactly what my physio does to my back (which is kinda buggered) and then stretch excersizes (which my physio also gives me for my back everytime she see's me. Now the physio is R300-R600 a pop. So you have to think to yourself, apply pressure and do stretches, whats the worst that can happen?

Well let me tell you, since i posted this, I applied pressure twice every night and did the basic stretches. Yesterday and tonight I went to majic forest and normally my knee would have me really worried doing that first steep incline, and would hurt noticably. But after two days of "self medicating" as per the advice on the link I am extremely happy to report I had absolutly no funny feeling in my knee tonight, absolutly no pain, and I rode the hill harder than I normally would.

So it might be early days but I am 100% confident I self diagnosed correctly and know I and hopefully other people know something they did not before i posted this.

maby just check if your position on the bike is right, so that when you pedals are at horizontal your knee does not exceed over the pedal axel.....i had a similar prob, moved my saddle backwards and it was gone in a flash

cheers

Thanks Eclipse, at first I thought it was bike setup too, tried everything saddle positions/angles/height. Rotating my riser bar, etc etc. And still the same result, after following the advice in the article for two days I'm completly back to normal.

The short and sweet is, that if you suddenly do excersize that strengthems your upper legs you have a good chance of this happening, especially if you were very unfit like I was.

Guest eyecandy

I had hectic knee pain! Advice from an orthopod: lie on your back, raise leg for 30sec x 10 both sides once a day for one week. 2nd week add 1kg ankle weights and 3rd week 2kg's. I've been pain free for weeks :-)