Slime

chris_w_65

Not really sure about the rims, but do check. Cannot remember which is the smaller of the two - Presta or Schrader - but you could use the smaller one. Since you anyway have two different tubes at hand, why not try (swap them with both rims) to see the results.

But anyway, just remember that most pumps fit both but you just have to turn around a little rubber piece where you connect to the valve (just mentioning this as I nearly bought a new pump till my LBS pointed this out).

Not really sure about the rims, but do check. Cannot remember which is the smaller of the two - Presta or Schrader - but you could use the smaller one. Since you anyway have two different tubes at hand, why not try (swap them with both rims) to see the results.

But anyway, just remember that most pumps fit both but you just have to turn around a little rubber piece where you connect to the valve (just mentioning this as I nearly bought a new pump till my LBS pointed this out).

The Shrader is bigger than the Presta. Good point on the pump fitting.

Anyone have any comments? Is it ok to use Presta tubes in a Shrader rim?

The Shrader is bigger than the Presta. Good point on the pump fitting.

Anyone have any comments? Is it ok to use Presta tubes in a Shrader rim?

Where you getting the bikes from internet or LBS? When i buy a new bike i make sure i get the following freebies,

1. Ask the shop to add slime to all tires

2. A free bottle cage and bottle

And if your lucky (guess i was) i got them to throw in a mini pump and saddle bag for mahala.

But points one and two you wont struggle with most lbs's will do that for you.

You can ghetto non-UST Small Block 8's easy peasy. Give it a go it's a simple procedure and well worth doing.

Okay...my 2c worth.

I ran tubes for a long time. Reason: Tires cheaper and couldnt afford conversion.

I used slimed (green shrek piss) in the beginning they were fine but as time went on i found out 2 things about slime. They are temporary fixes to get you home or end of race. you will need to be carefull after a thorny ride or if you see green every where. 2, they "let go" when i hit a serious patch of water. the slime became liquid again and wouldnt seal after that.

I then went and got "OKO". put this inside the standard presta valve tube. They had over 20 sealed punctures in each tube. I cut the tube open and the oko was still in its jello form.

Ghetto: Yes they are great but when you need to change your tyre or add sealant you will need to redo the conversion which means 2 new tubes.

I eventually saved enough money to get tubeless wheels/tires and now the issue is what sealant to use. experimenting with a few but so far the blue http://www.noflats.co.za/ has done the job.

Life is alot easier if you have schraeder valved tube/rims