Opinions: XT WH-M775 wheelset vs AC MTB Tubeless

Thomo

Is this wheelset a worthy upgrade.?

Or should I steer clear of them.?

Your thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Would luv some AM Tubeless but they are ±R1000 more.

Or should I see that as R1000 well spent.?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded the stock wheelset on my Trance X2 to the 15mm version of this wheelset (M778) and I love them. They are tubeless out of the box (no tape etc required) and are strong and relatively light (about 1,700grams I think). I am heavy so the strength to weight combo is great. I can install UST tyres with a footpump and no hassles and they have taken a lot of abuse while staying perfectly true. I do know that the hubs need regular maintenance - if not repairs become very expensive. I also like to have a pair of bling and light AM classics but I think the Shimanos do everything as well - just for less money.

I got a set of these 2 month ago. Ran them tubed for a couple of rides and I could only JUST feel the difference between them and my cheapies... Then I went tubeless... WOW absolutely awesome. They go up hills like the bike is motorized plus you have the added benefit of lower tyre pressures providing more grip... and as said above you can fit tyres with a floor pump, no need for compressors or bombs.

For a weight saving of over 200g on the wheels I'd say money well spent.

You will have to spend more than an extra R1000 later on if you want to drop that weight somewhere else.

Buy once, get the Am Classics...from me!

also look at how many people have recently had issues on their XT wheels... It's a no brainer.

I just bought a set of AM classics due to a problem with the xt REAR HUB the problem is trying to find a new hub for my XT's they are bomb proof but if you gonna buy them buy them new. I have only had my XT's for 6 months they were second hand and I was assured they had minimal mileage. The XT rim has a strange hub and spoke system . Spokes are also a bugger to come by. If you really cant afford the AM go XT but remember you will need centre lock discs so you're almost at 4k....do wanna buy mine with a dodgy rear hub good price !!!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Seems that's 3½ positives XT votes, ½ AC and 1 AC biased. :o

Not quite an overwhelming majority, but enough to suggest that the XT's aren't complete crap.

Still leaves me undecided though ...

Tarmac-SL, do you have plastic payment facilities.? ;)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Seems that's 3½ positives XT votes, ½ AC and 1 AC biased. :o

Not quite an overwhelming majority, but enough to suggest that the XT's aren't complete crap.

Still leaves me undecided though ...

Tarmac-SL, do you have plastic payment facilities.? ;)

The XT's are a bit heavier (200g I think) but they are a true tubeless wheel whereas the AC's are a normal holes rim made tubeless with a semi permanent tape.

I say semi permanent because mine started unravelled and resulted in a DNF a few weeks back...

If I had to choose again I'd go XT - I'd put confidence over 200g anyday.

The XT's are a bit heavier (200g I think) but they are a true tubeless wheel whereas the AC's are a normal holes rim made tubeless with a semi permanent tape.

I say semi permanent because mine started unravelled and resulted in a DNF a few weeks back...

If I had to choose again I'd go XT - I'd put confidence over 200g anyday.

My understanding is that the new AM's are true tubeless ... no need for conversion kits.

Slightly heavier than the original version, but a little lighter than the XT's.

If you do buy them, then buy them local. I've got a set and they've given me no problems, but I have read about freehub problems at various other sites and forums.

CWC have them on special for R3000.

Yip, aware of that thanks.

Also available from Icycling for R2900.

Just a matter of getting enough thumbs up on their performance/reliability vs AC Tubeless.

I bought myself the XT Tubeless wheelset (775) more than two years ago. First had it on my Scott Genius, now on my Stumpjumper FSR......they are awesome, excellent value for money...bought mine for over R4k, now you can pick them up at CWC for R3k. Over the 2 years I only had to replace the freebody. The wheelset have taken many lnocks, but they are tough and can handle it!!! :D :D You will not go wrong with them! :)

I bought myself the XT Tubeless wheelset (775) more than two years ago. First had it on my Scott Genius, now on my Stumpjumper FSR......they are awesome, excellent value for money...bought mine for over R4k, now you can pick them up at CWC for R3k. Over the 2 years I only had to replace the freebody. The wheelset have taken many lnocks, but they are tough and can handle it!!! :D :D You will not go wrong with them! :)

That must qualify as a big thumbs up.! :D

That must qualify as a big thumbs up.! :D

I have XT's and this is not a biased statement.

Just buy them, put yr UST tyres on, pump to 2.1 or so, get racing and forget about them.... :)