Seriously!?!?!?! You don't know how to change a flat?!?!?!

Disylizzy

Yesterday I'm on my jobsite and I see a "cyclist" sitting on the opposite corner of the road. When I asked him what was wrong or if he needed help, he proceeds to tell me that he got 2 flats riding through the construction site and only has 1 spare tube and doesn't know how to change the tubes, so he's waiting for his wife to come and pick him up (he lives about 45km from where he was broken down). Fortunately for him I had an extra tube in my car and showed him how to change them out.

However, this is not the first instance where I have come across "cyclists" who do not know how to fix a flat. Two of these other instances are people that I know...

So this made me start wondering, is this just a lazy a$$ American thing, or has anyone else come across these "cyclists"?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No its not rocket science most of us have it down to a T but some people just dont know any better and in some instances i blame bikeshops, I have a chap at work got himself a nice GT Elite, bike shop never advised him to get a spare, or tyre levers or patches. For most it would be logic but for some they just dont remember how many punctures they got on their first BMX's when they were kids cuase dad use to fix them.

then again this chap did not even know your supposed to lube the chain every 50-100km he has been riding his bike on and off for 2 years with no lube.

I googled everything i possibly could and youtubed almost all aspects from cleaning to maintenance. I guess some people are just I wont say ignorant, hrmmm maybe clueless?

You'll be surprised how many people don't know how to fix a puncture. They have no clue how to properly get the patch to stick. My guess is that most people who change tubes rather than fix punctures fall in this category.

Yeah, this basic basic stuff. I don't understand how people can go out and do a 2-3 hour bike ride and not know how to fix a problem with your bike if it arises, and then expect someone to come and pick you up. I think not only is it ignorance/being clueless/lazy, it's also selfish.

What Johan just said is very true . Very few people knows how to apply a patch properly . We all think you find the hole , slap on some glue and a patch follows . But don't dispair , I am busy writing a book on it .

What Johan just said is very true . Very few people knows how to apply a patch properly . We all think you find the hole , slap on some glue and a patch follows . But don't dispair , I am busy writing a book on it .

Will there be plenty of pictures? :D

How do u apply the patch properly? :unsure:

Let me guess the intro is going to be longer than the actual book? BTW thats called a pamphlet not book :P

Cant believe this but I guess its how they grow up. I always fixed my own flats on my BMX so I know how to fix a flat, But my younger brother does not even know how to put a pliers in a saddle bag. Friday my brother stuck 2 holes in my spare tube in my saddle bag.

I had to use one that afternoon cause the sidewall on my non-UST tire broke.

I installed the tube and it inflated but had a slow punture. so I fixed it yesterday. I must buy 1 new tire on pay-day.

HAve met a few, stopped and helped. Hopefully they paid attention. Maybe I'm wrong here. Got asked to stop and help a lady once. Asked her if she knew how to change it,she said yup but doesn't want to get her hands dirty. So I clipped in and left her. She was in a safe area. Just think it's damn cheeky to do that

If I tell you now I may spoil a best seller !!!

But maybe Ive been doing it all wrong for all these years. My next thing, which hasnt happened as yet it when I get a hole in my tubeless tyre and have to put my first plug in. Thats something Ive not done yet :lol:

On two occasions I've given tubes to fcukwits who've been out without carrying so much as a spare and a pump.

WTF? How unprepared is that? In both cases I've instructed the recipient to donate twice the cost of a replacement tube to the charity of their choice...I only hope that they did so.

There are some weird people out there...fortunately we're all OK!