Seriously!?!?!?! You don't know how to change a flat?!?!?!

Disylizzy

Oh Meis, please tell me you did not just go there! I have owned several patch kits in my time. Patched too many punctures to even count. And as for the pesky little bit of tire that won't go in at the end, that's what the tire levers are for!!!

Agree with you DisyLIzzy, that was low Meis. I'm better at patching a tyre than a few males I know.

Ok, so I struggled the other day to put my new captain on, but now that I've worked out a technique, it is simple. Its not just about strength. Practice makes perfect.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a differant take on this, the American mentality is often differant to ours, the legalistic nature of the country makes people tend to shy away from learning how to do anything which could cause them to be involved in a law suit. They are spoon fed from an early age and told "dont do this", "dont do that", you could have this happen, you could be hauled into court etc,etc.

So they dont, they would rather take it along to a shop or a professional to do the job, and they will happily pay for it.

As an example, I often go diving in the USA, once I popped an o ring on the cylinder, no sweat I just hauled out another and was putting it in like I have done for the last 25 years and some guy comes over and starts telling me I best wait till we get to the shop, cos you need a clean enviroment, a special "shore strength" o-ring, food grade lube, and a torque wrench to fasten it all up, cos otherwise you could be injured!!.

I mean "Duh" I have been replacing the o-rings on boats, on the beach in sand storms at Sodwana and never had an issue, but thats Yanks, and I am fine with that.

In a way it keeps the economy turning, in my view its just stupid, but, hey each to their own.

I totally agree with you on this. From my experience Americans as a whole only look out for #1. A lot of relationships/friendships, etc. are solely based on what can you do for that person.

As for the legalistic environment, that is just a whole other can of worms. My Dad used to do IT at a law firm that handled the firestone tire lawsuit a few years back and the stories that he would come home with was so ridiculous that you knew it couldn't be made up. But I'm totally getting off topic here...

1 Idea is for LBS to offer a free 30 minute DIY on all bikes sold if the person needs it.They can go over the basics like how to fix a a flat change a tire etc. Maybe this way they will form more of a relationship with the riders? :unsure:

Oh, the days of using big old soup spoons because tyre levers didn't exist. Big thick rubber sheets you had to cut yourself ...

1 Idea is for LBS to offer a free 30 minute DIY on all bikes sold if the person needs it.They can go over the basics like how to fix a a flat change a tire etc. Maybe this way they will form more of a relationship with the riders? :unsure:

Well that is just a reason to hike the price up another R500.

I used to get klapped often because I bent tablespoons....

We must have the same mother then, I also got klapped for bending spoons.

Oh, the days of using big old soup spoons because tyre levers didn't exist. Big thick rubber sheets you had to cut yourself ...

When the Internet was all just trees....

bikemonster, tell them about the tyre logo's!!! I fear nobody is edjoocating our newbies in the gentle art of proper tyre alignment and styling!

bikemonster, tell them about the tyre logo's!!! I fear nobody is edjoocating our newbies in the gentle art of proper tyre alignment and styling!

Shirley that deserves its own thread?

Possibly its own forum? B)

Well that is just a reason to hike the price up another R500.

Nope the course should be free. lets see if any LBS will do this.

Shirley that deserves its own thread?

Possibly its own forum? B)

Master, I fear they are not ready (or worthy) yet.

....and don't call me Shirley!