what is the cause of chainsuck

wapad

I did the lourensford and after the first mudbath, I had chainsuck about 4 times before my new xt chain, gave way and broke. I repaired it with a powerlink but it continued everytime on the steepish inclines. eventually I asked around at a waterpoint for some lube not sure what type but it wasnt a waxed based like squirt, the chaisuck never came back.

I did two rides before the race with the new chain, cleaned the chain and gave it a good lube

What causes chainsuck- the mudbath or what

I have searched the forum with no real answers to my query.

Chain suck

Chain suck occurs primarily when downshifting under load from the middle to the smallest chainring. The bottom run of the chain may not immediately disengage from the middle ring, and can get carried upward until it wedges betwixt the chainwheels and the right chainstay.

This jams the crankset. Since you probably wouldn't have been shifting to the granny if you weren't already climbing, the sudden lock-up of the drive train deprives you of what little momentum you had, and you are very likely to stall and fall.

Chain suck is commonly caused by bent chainring teeth, dirty chains, or, occasionally, burrs on the teeth of new chainwheels.

thanks Sheldon Brown

Can be from dirt but if persists likely to be chainring wear. I 've only had problems with the middle ring and changing it sorted the problem out. As you had a new chain on I would suspect the ring.

I dont think its the chain ring but from what I'm hearing from you guys more likely a really dirty chain, there were some heavy mudbaths on the ride. once I put the lube on the chain suck went away, the chainsuck only happened on the small ring with incline so I wasnt changing gears when it happened but the transmission was really muddy at the time.

My next question is are their lubes that handle the mud better, I always use squirt and am pretty particular about how I apply it so I can only assume that either the chain needed more running in time or the lube was not up to it ?

Use wet lube for muddy/wet rides. Squirt is probably the best wax-based lube, but for ultra wet wax just dont do it.

Use wet lube for muddy/wet rides. Squirt is probably the best wax-based lube, but for ultra wet wax just dont do it.

Vanniri, now youve gone and done it, Another lube war about to be started, with no girls in bikini's. Rule 2006 found under article 6 section F.

Do not use a lube brandname with the words greatest/best/supreme/awesome in the same sentence.

Thouse found to be in vilation of this shall be ripped a new @sshole through a servere tonguelashing.

You have been warned :lol:

Vanniri, now youve gone and done it, Another lube war about to be started, with no girls in bikini's. Rule 2006 found under article 6 section F.

Do not use a lube brandname with the words greatest/best/supreme/awesome in the same sentence.

Thouse found to be in vilation of this shall be ripped a new @sshole through a servere tonguelashing.

You have been warned :lol:

But is what he says true that wax based lube no good in muddy conditions ?

wet lubes seem to work better wax lubes second best, dry lubes (teflon) are good for dusty dry conditions. Only my humble opinion ofcourse :mellow:

Oh and I have learned that if I apply my lube to the inside AND outside of my chain when i do an application I can feel a difference. Let it set for at least 5 mins then wipe of the residue with a rag.

I did the lourensford and after the first mudbath, I had chainsuck about 4 times before my new xt chain, gave way and broke. I repaired it with a powerlink but it continued everytime on the steepish inclines. eventually I asked around at a waterpoint for some lube not sure what type but it wasnt a waxed based like squirt, the chaisuck never came back.

I did two rides before the race with the new chain, cleaned the chain and gave it a good lube

What causes chainsuck- the mudbath or what

I have searched the forum with no real answers to my query.

I think you answered your own question:

In your case it was most definitely the dirt/mud and lack of lubrication.

Most probably you did not apply enough lube to the chain. (i also did lourensford the weekend with Squirt with no chainsuck).

It got washed away by all the mud and water and caused your chain to become dry and inflexible with stiff joints(pins and rollers)

Wet races demands a lot from your chain and only if you applied enough lube in the right places will it hold up.

Eventually though it will wash off and then you need to listen to the telltale sign of a dry chain. as soon as it starts to creak you need to apply lube again.

This happens to all kinds of lube. I have used finishline(green cap) on wet races where it was so muddy and wet that i needed to reapply after 28kms.

so it really depends on the race, the terrain and the mud/watercrossings.

the best thing you can do is to always make sure you carry extra lube. you never know when you might need it.

Oh and one more quick tip on applying waxed based lube like squirt:

apply the lube to the chain one link at a time (inside or outside) while the chain is not moving. then turn the rollers with your finger while the chain is not moving.

this gets the lube right into the rollers onto the pins where it is needed. now move the chain around to get to the next section. repeat.

clean off excess with a rag.

Do not just turn your cranks and apply the lube while the chain is moving. this wastes a lot of lube and it gets onto the chainrings, cassette and jockey wheels.

The lube needs to be on the pins under the rollers for the best possible results.

No matter whether you use oil or wax, clean off the excess as best you can afterwards. your chain will thank you for it.

Its a Shi(t)mano chain, thats why it sucks... grabbing coat , running for the door :D

It's a Shimano BRANDED chain. Most chains are made by KMC and branded whatever you want.

I dunno if this may have been one of the contributing factors...

but you mentioned that the chain was new... only used a couple of times.

Last chain I bought at the LBS I was told to clean it with parafin then lube before using it cos the substance that is on it in the packaging can cause some chain suck.

So maybe it was a combo of that and the mud bath?!

But hey... I'm no expert... that's just what I was told.

I dunno if this may have been one of the contributing factors...

but you mentioned that the chain was new... only used a couple of times.

Last chain I bought at the LBS I was told to clean it with parafin then lube before using it cos the substance that is on it in the packaging can cause some chain suck.

So maybe it was a combo of that and the mud bath?!

But hey... I'm no expert... that's just what I was told.

Yeah Thanks for all the advice it sounds like the granny gear did not enjoy its 4th chain it appears that I may need a new granny ring and in future I will run the chain in a bit more

but thanks again for all the advice