Hi-Jack

slysi

Was riding along Botlary rd (Cape Town) on Sunday morning and spotted two locals with probikes- the one was an elderly chap (late 50's early sixties) in his suite with his hat on coming from church on a Raleigh RC8000 (those green and yellow ones), the other a local (early 30's) with a backpack on a yellow and white Colnago.

I wonder if they new that these bikes were worth more than R50.

Was riding along Botlary rd (Cape Town) on Sunday morning and spotted two locals with probikes- the one was an elderly chap (late 50's early sixties) in his suite with his hat on coming from church on a Raleigh RC8000 (those green and yellow ones), the other a local (early 30's) with a backpack on a yellow and white Colnago.

You should have gone and Hi- jacked them, I presume they were worth more then R50k? Thats when you nned to call the cops, or stop them and ask questions , admire their lovely bikes and take a serial no if possible :huh:

Last month i was waiting in my car at an intersection when a guy on a bicycle pulls up next to me , looking at the bicycle the 1st thing i noticed is the paint job, it was painted with wall paint hiding any indication of brand, looking at the components they were dura ace although in poor state with expensive mavic wheels Unfortunately the intersection was busy so i could not question him.

Another incident behind the chicken farm. I used to ride there often, mostly alone.

What I do now is to drive to Gerardsville and park by the monastery on the hilltop, then I go downhill to the R511 and back up again. A bit repetative but relatively safe.

Thats some crazy stuff, Doesnt matter where you ride these days you always have to be on the look out for the hijackers

We have to, have to be more vigilant and pro - active with this. Especially seeing guys riding around on bikes that you can tell are definatly stolen. Its cause we as a cycling community do nothing about its that it getting worse

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Not sure if you saw my posting, we were hi jacked same place on Saturday, we caught the guy, please contact Erasmia police station they will give you information on your bikes and the case.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

just some updates on this incident. there were 4 jackings in 4 weekends in this same area. weekend before last they managed to catch one of the guys which is a great breakthrough. we already had a lead in that one of the bikes (the Scott Spark 15) was recovered on Thursday 14 Oct. A vigilant gent (cyclist) driving along the road drove past a guy cycling a R60k bike and stopped him. called the police and a long story short it had an epic sticker on it and they traced it back to us. so we had a lead....but then in another turn of events that very next Saturday 16 Oct the 4 guys that were jacked in the same area as us were helped by passing motor bikers and then with the help of the surrounding community tracked the guy down and caught him. (i assume this is as per post of Nickelef). this is a huge up in the fight against these a-holes!! lets take our roads and trails back!!!

You should have offered them R1000 for both!